Which other Flexi Languages you want?

We are currently checking out which languages to add to Flexi Classes. As usual suggestions from this forum will be taken very seriously

We currently teach on Flexi Classes

Mandarin (simplified)
Mandarin (traditional)
Japanese
Korean
Vietnamese
Taiwanese
Shanghainese
Cantonese

Any other languages you guys would like to learn on Flexi?

To be fair, that list covers all the Asian languages that are on my mini-list, but I can imagine that Tagalog could be popular. Question is, why do you want to add more languages? Is this for the next 12 months or future planning? I’d rather have full programs for all the languages on offer already than add other languages too soon. Purely my humble opinion. What the school already offers will keep me busy for years!

3 Likes

Currently I’m working on Mandarin (simplified) and Korean but my side language is Spanish.

1 Like

I currently take Japanese (thank you for the N3 classes!!) and Mandarin classes on Flexi, but I’m also learning European languages. I’ve studied Spanish for several years, so free speaking would be lovely, and I’m an intermediate student of French, so I wouldn’t mind taking Flexi classes for that as well.

2 Likes

I’m also learning Italian and French.
And I have just started English C2 classes.

2 Likes

For future planning. However we are about to finish Mandarin, Japanese and Korean up to C1 levels this year, so looking where next is best.
We really want to support Cantonese, shanghainese and Taiwanese but it’s difficult to get regular students for those, so people don’t make it to higher levels.

Interesting to hear everyones opinions.
So far it’s

Tagalog
Spanish
French
Italian

All further suggestions most welcome

1 Like

Thai language

7 Likes

That makes sense. Always good to have a plan! :grinning:

How about starting to type “learn language online…” into Google and see what the top searches are?

2 Likes

Yes google definitely is a good source too. Globally the most learned languages are = English, Spanish and French first.
Languages like Taiwanese, Shanghainese or Cantonese that we offer are extremely rare.
However we are not the average language school and dont want to be one so I am very interested to know what our students are interested in.
Thanks so much for all the feedback so far.

1 Like

Honestly I just like learning…so in a year or two when I complete the curriculum for Mandarin and Korean I’ll probably start Japanese anyway. I might have a gap while I go brush up on Spanish but I’ll be back since having multiple language options is great.

3 Likes

Malay!

2 Likes

Oh interesting choice. Are you studying it at the moment? If yes how? You mean Bahasa Malayu not Bahasa Indonesia I assume?

Russian and Arabic

1 Like

Interesting choices. We are working on Russian already (will go online soon).
Not Arabic yet though. One issue would be to choose which Arabic. I don’t speak Arabic and all Arabic speakers always tell me that the standard Arabic is the same in all Arab speaking countries, but then when we get something actually written nobody can ever agree on how it actually should be done.

The best thing would be to teach Modern Standard Arabic and then offer oral lessons in one of the dialects.
Modern Standard Arabic is the Arabic written in newspapers, books etc across the Arab world, so to be able to read and write you need to learn Modern Standard Arabic.
When it comes to the spoken language, this varies from region to region, Usually institutions choose to teach one of the Levantine dialects ie Lebanese or Syrian; Egyptian is also a popular choice for spoken Arabic.

That’s what we tried with our Arab website. And then it turned out that people have very different ideas what modern standard Arabic is depending on where they come from…nobody could agreeing anything.
There is no LTL Arabic website to this day…

That’s very strange Andreas. If you google Modern Standard Arabic, you will find loads of textbooks and institutions who teach it. The Arabic word for it is Fusha

1 Like

Yes I agree. But in reality when a Saudi translator translated something and an Egyptian person would proof read it they would say it’s full of mistakes. And the other way round.
I dont speak and never studied Arabic so we gave up on it for the moment…

I think LTL offers already quite a lot! Like someone else in the comments, Thai would be interesting!

I still need to finish Vietnamese, and then I’ll go to Japanese or Mandarin. (Hinting that we need more advanced levels in Vietnamese :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: )

1 Like

Thanks. The next Vietnamese level is already in the works :grinning:

1 Like