Want to study Spanish? Please let us know here

We want to reach out and get your opinions regarding our new Spanish language classes! We’re planning to add a new language to our menu and we want to know which Spanish language you would like to study on our platform.
Your feedback is important to us and will help us tailor our courses to meet your needs. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us!

2 Likes

I imagine this will be a popular one!

1 Like

would be cool to have classes like that

1 Like

I think so. I have received a lot of requests from our students for Spanish. Therefore, our team thinks that we really need to accelerate the progress to get Spanish on board as soon as possible. :muscle: :writing_hand:

:star_struck:
Which Spanish do you prefer to study in the future, Charmaine?

I would suggest the Standard Spanish, which is the Castilian. With a basic knowledge of this the South and Middle American dialects should not be a big problem.
But of course this is the European view on the subject. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your suggestion :heart_eyes:

Spanish is indeed a popular language!

How about including the variation of words and expressions for each Spanish-speaking country in the lesson? For example, “in Spain we say…, and in Mexico we say…”

I remember other platforms doing it like this

2 Likes

Love that idea. I guess it varies quite a lot from Spain to South America and everywhere else in between.

Some variations of keywords might be a cool addition not many other platforms provide?

There’s a big difference between South Americans and someone from, say, Madrid…

the first ones, you understand, the second just goes d-d-d-v-d-b-dr-ssss in your ears, and you have no idea what they’re on about :grin:

1 Like

yes! As I already said in Discord, my boyfriend would like to learn Spanish and I am looking forward to studying really any language together with him. And since I love my classes at LTL for Mandarin it would be a no-brainer for me to learn Spanish here too.

2 Likes

A great idea! Our team will note on this when developing the curriculum. Thank you Marine :heart_eyes:

:rofl: Do you know which Spanish is more favorable to foreigners?

:heart_eyes: You are indeed the best girlfriend. I can imagine his motivation to study Spanish would be doubled by having you study together.

1 Like

Maybe take a look at Spanisch lernen mit Hotel Borbollón | Kostenloser Test
I did the free first week.
They do “all” Spanish versions together.
(this app is really too expensive and covers only reading and writing. But really extremely interesting stuff.)

I think teachers could come from all different countries but should be aware of the differences and teach them. I am only a beginner in Spanish, but for a German it is not at all difficult to understand the different pronunciations. Only the tempo of a speaker is difficult for me, or on the Canaries, how they leave out the endings, haha. A good teacher surely knows when different words are used in Europe or Argentina and Mexico.
I have heard that only Spain’s Castilian has the “complete” grammar, and that Latin America does not use all of the grammar. But of course this is the “European view”, haha.
Of course Latin American is used world wide, so I am afraid Kastilian has not a big chance at a school in Asia?
Think about Chinese, it is much much more difficult to understand the various pronunciations, I had huge problems at the beginning with Chinese teacher’s pronunciation from Singapure, the South or Taiwan… but that is the reality of a language.

Maybe it would be helpful to have an introduction chapter and teach the basic different pronunciations.
I suggest that there are audios in the first chapters with the different pronunciations, so that students can decide which one they want to follow but are aware of the few important differences to the others, so that it is not a big problem if a teacher comes from “the other” area.

1 Like

ChatGPT, tell me the 5 biggest differences of Latin American Spanish and Castilian

Certainly! Here are 5 major differences between Latin American Spanish and Castilian:

1. Pronunciation: One of the most notable differences between Latin American Spanish and Castilian is in the pronunciation. Latin American Spanish tends to have a softer and more relaxed pronunciation compared to the sharper and more distinct pronunciation of Castilian. For example, in Latin American Spanish, the “s” sound at the end of words and syllables is often pronounced more like “h” or not pronounced at all, while in Castilian, the “s” sound is generally pronounced more clearly.
  2. Vocabulary: There are also differences in vocabulary between Latin American Spanish and Castilian. While most of the vocabulary is similar, there are some regional variations and differences in terminology. For example, some words related to everyday objects, food, and culture may have different names or meanings in Latin American Spanish compared to Castilian.
  3. Verb Forms: There are some differences in verb forms between Latin American Spanish and Castilian. For example, in Latin American Spanish, the use of the second person singular pronoun “vos” is more common, while in Castilian, the use of the second person singular pronoun “tú” is more prevalent. Additionally, some verb forms, such as the past participle, may be used differently in Latin American Spanish and Castilian.
  4. Usage of “Vosotros”: In Castilian, the pronoun “vosotros” is commonly used as the plural form of “you” (informal) when addressing a group of people. However, in most Latin American countries, “ustedes” is used as the plural form of “you” (both formal and informal), and “vosotros” is not used. This is an important grammatical difference between the two varieties.
  5. Regional Dialects: Both Latin American Spanish and Castilian have their own regional dialects, which can vary greatly in terms of pronunciation, vocabulary, and grammar. For example, the Spanish spoken in Mexico, Argentina, and Spain may have distinct regional characteristics that differ from each other and from standard Latin American Spanish or Castilian.

It’s worth noting that while there are differences between Latin American Spanish and Castilian, they are still mutually intelligible, and speakers of one variety can generally understand speakers of the other variety with some adjustments. Additionally, these differences may vary depending on the specific country or region within Latin America or Spain.
:robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot:

1 Like

That’s a very complete guide to the differences between the two, thank you for sharing :slight_smile:
ChatGPT is great in so many ways!

yes, buuuuut I needed to correct ChatGPT even here. In 3. about tú ChatGPT originally said it the wrong way round. :see_no_evil:
Additionally, ChatGPT should be clearer about Latin America. Look at this:
Google is still much more reliable, as we have learned to find the good sites.

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much for all these :star_struck:

I would prefer American Spanish since I’m from the USA and looking to speak to Spanish speakers here (Mexican or any country from the Americas really). However, European Spanish is close enough to American Spanish that I would be happy to take classes with teachers from Europe - it doesn’t really matter. The bigger question is - when do you plan to offer the courses?