Hsklevel.com What's your graph look like?

I love using this little test to learn new words randomly: https://www.hsklevel.com/

Recently, a new middle “So-So” button was added to the “No” and “Yes” (whether you know this word or not), which I think it forces the results up too much.

I love how it creates a graph of your test results over time, presents graphically the percentage of known words into categories like “movies”, “news” etc. and compares HSK 2.0 and HSK 3.0.

Here’s my graph for the past 14 months:

The tests are free, as the creator Pierre asks for a donation by PayPal. (Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with this website).

凯莉

2 Likes

Oh that looks nice. Never used it and not sure if many others did yet. If Pierre wants to join our forum and create a thread for it please tell him to get in touch.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing— I don’t have much of a progression chart to share with you as I was just using it for the first time. However, it’s a great way to place oneself’s abilities in the whole HSK scheme… and also a little disencouraging because it just confirmed that I went from Level 4 (HSK 2.0) to Level 2 (HSK 3.0). :woozy_face:

1 Like

Very accurate! I’d say it’s exactly where I’d have said I was at. And it’s correct about vocab type too, I read social media and watch some tv in Chinese, but I have not yet embarked on Chinese news. I am planning to wait til Hsk 5 to attack that.

2 Likes

I asked Pierre on his Facebook page if he wants to create a thread here. He seems like a nice guy!

1 Like

Omg I think it is overestimating me, my reading has gotten pretty good recently but not sure it’s quite as great as this :smiley: I will have to come back and keep checking like you suggest! However, I did have a look at the word list on Hack Chinese and I’m about a similar distance away from old HSK 6 to new HSK 6 which is quite surprising. According to Hack Chinese I’m still around 2400 words to HSK 6, and 7000 to HSK 7-9. There seems to be less words on this HSK list than on Hack Chinese.

Thanks for the cool website suggestion, definitely an interesting tool!

2 Likes

@Andreas_Admin_Flexi Pierre says it looks like he has to sign up to take classes in order to be a member of the forum. Could you assist him, please? His Facebook comment is on this page:
(I can’t pay the Facebook link! Using my mobile, whenever I try to paste into the hyperlink text box, nothing happens).

Maybe you can click the Facebook icon on hsklevel.com and find my post that way…

2 Likes

I got results that are quite similar to @Chloe-Mandarin-HSK_5 's.

According to Skritter I know 9163 words and 2598 unique characters.

2 Likes

Wow Ben,
knowing words in Skritter, you mean, you can handwrite them all???

1 Like

@Andreas_Admin_Flexi Here is Kelly’s post on Facebook regarding Pierre creating a thread for HSK Level on the Flexi Forum. (I cannot see any comment though)

Pierre can also be contacted at [email protected]

Let me know if I can do anything to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh thanks. Yes, this is an exclusive forum for Flexi Classes students, you need a Flexi Classes account that be able to post in Flexi Forums.

However I can create one for him of course, will contact him. Thanks

1 Like

That’s pretty cool you can see the distinct words vs characters on skitter!! That’s something I have wanted to see on hack Chinese for a while! (Hint hint @Hack-Chinese-Daniel :wink: )

Does it test you on the words or does it use the individual characters to make up how many words you should know from the characters?

2 Likes

Of course not, that’s just the number of words I can recognize or define. Skritter thinks that I can write 6673 words with 91.4% accuracy, but I think it’s greatly overestimating my abilities.

The real number is definitely way lower because I don’t use the “raw squigs” feature of Skritter (that would be much closer to handwriting than the default behavior). I don’t care much about handwriting, I’m using Skritter to learn words via character decomposition + context.

1 Like

It tests you on whatever is in the word lists you’re studying rather than estimating how many words you should know - I think the latter is what hsklevel.com might be doing?

1 Like