Hack Chinese Review

The road to recovery has begun!

Hoping to clear them all by the time I arrive next month… :grimacing:

3 Likes

lol, 2k words to makeup… gonna be some work for sure!

Chipping away and keeping up my 100% record for 2023.

The new algorithm changes helped me knock a few more off also!

1 Like

Been using Hack Chinese for over a year, love it!

Would like to suggest an improvement on the LTL Felxi <-> HC partnership. In the catalog split each of the HSK levels up into the 5 chapters that are in the level.

Right now you add a whole level in bulk. Example: HSK 3+ is total 236 words, when scheduled this list the words don’t seems to be presented in the order of the chapters.
To have some control over what you study when, it would be great if in the catalog these levels can be chopped up into the separate chapters of each level.

2 Likes

Thanks Jasper, we’ll take a look at this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The new changes #1, #2 are great and I think the sufficient change to reach and keep!! the 100% record.
I didn’t care too much about the 100 % last year, and hc is simply my Chinese treasure box to keep found things. And I am usually extremely strict with details to accept a word as known. To get back to 100% was never a problem, but to keep it, as there were insanely many reviews due on too many days.
The update skipped away about 300 reviews, I did the missing 250 reviews yesterday and now it all looks perfect for the next weeks.
2,129 strong “words”. I love this “due later today” and the overview for the upcoming weeks.

1 Like

A lot of regularity this year with a 3k words increase :nerd_face:
I’m now sticking at 8 new words a day as I found it really efficient for me, let’s see if can empty HSK6 list of vocabulary for next year !

4 Likes

This is beautiful! Mind if we include this in an IG post?

1 Like

Seconded, that’s one beautiful looking graph!

Hats off @Antoine-Mandarin-Intro :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sure, feel free to use this screen. :grin:

The last Hackchinese updates improved a lot my vocabulary study routine :

I switched from some 10 or 20 minutes sessions - where I was trying to match and finish my reviewing at the end of the timer to not bulk to much new words - to a 100 words stack sessions with the manageable new word limit that is stopping me automatically when I’m done.

That’s why there is less variation at the end of my curb and I found it more easy to review all the vocab. :slight_smile:
A really great tool !

I’m in awe of that thread. I clicked on the link for Hack Chinese but I began to hyperventilate…

How do you even begin?

And also, call me old and old fashioned… (which I am) but don’t you guys also write the characters by hand? I can’t remember any if I don’t spend a little time writing them as elegantly as I can.
I’ve heard of people with baskets filled with index cards. I think that will be me in a few years. I’ve only made 200. Does anybody else bothers with that?

I will try to click on the Hack Chinese link again, dah! aaaaah

1 Like

@Pascale-Mandarin_Simplified_HS, I don’t think you’re old and old fashioned enough if you’re studying simplified characters :wink:

Seriously though, while writing by hand is a tried and true method for memorizing characters, it is not the most efficient one. I would only recommend it for the most basic characters and radicals.

haha. 你很可愛 … I use the 8 box method so I don’t just write them down again and again hoping that would work. Also I spend a long, long time analysing a character, radical, components, sound component, looking for an etymological explanation, the original in traditional if there’s one… its relations to others… and I use a special foutain pen with a brush end to practice them beautifully because I believe that only if I understand how they flow with a brush I’ll really get them… it’s like writing a novel each time!!! (I think people studying Chinese are nuts… in a good way I hope)

but hey, I’m giving Hack Chinese a go starting from today!

1 Like

Awesome. I think using Hack Chinese and practicing calligraphy are not mutually exclusive. Actually, I think the best is to learn new characters the way you do and then do the reviews using Hack Chinese (or Skritter in my case). You can then practice anytime and anywhere, even when you don’t bring your special fountain pens with you.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

A quick question about Hackchinese behavior since the last update.
I’m usually (well, I’m sure of that) doing all my review words and empty the review list to 0 each day but my graphic is showing me that I’m missing some words since the last update.

Here is a screenshot to illustrate my problem :

I don’t understand why the green part is not at the top in the figure as I’m sure that the review list is emptied at 0 at midnight (the hour where the graph is updating itself).

Could you please share with me if you are experiencing something similar or if I’m doing something wrong since last update ?
It’s not a big issue on my side, but seeing only green on my figure is very catchy for my motivation. :nerd_face:

I encountered also a second issue. I once started a review but forgot to finish it then I have a 11h session that has been registered in my history when usually I’m only doing 15-30min sessions a day.

Do you know if there is a manual way to correct/delete it to not false my statistics/tracking values ?

2 Likes

Me too, when I have done my daily it says I have no more weaks. But the next day in the graph there are quite a lot for yesterday. Well, i understand that this is a calculation what is the truth, all the ones I have missed at first try and so on.
But they get more and more daily, how should I reduce the weaks, I thought I only need to follow what is due to?

I am pretty sure it resets at midnight - but perhaps you have more words becoming due later that day before midnight? I usually do my studying quite late in the day so it rarely happens for me :smiley:

On the 11hr study time, I flagged the same problem a while ago. It was because i didn’t “pause” it on the mobile version and I went to another tab to do something else. Now I try to make sure to pause, but I am not sure if the statistic is still there influencing my other stats. I don’t think they have fixed the problem yet.

Yes it should reset itself at midnight, but I’m sure that my vocab review is up to date at this time.
The problem is new since the last major update and it’s showing me weak vocab that are not existing on my graph.

And after the update…

HI @Antoine-Mandarin-Intro and others. We are trying to get a new list type online, and then we will look at this issue. From the screenshot it looks like words that are mastered / blocked might be showing up as ‘weak’ when they really should be categorized differently. It might be time for new colors on the vocabulary growth chart! Please bear with us! Thanks, Dan

1 Like