Hack Chinese Review

I now see a similar problem to Antoine - yesterday I finished all my reviews, around midnight, so I know that I should have a full green block - but on the chart, it shows 400 weak.

Same thing has happened the last few days as I have tracked it.

Also, when I go to some of my lists, they say between 200 - 400 weak words. But on my front page, only 80 weak words due. I don’t understand this? I keep being told that I can’t study because I have no more weak words - I’m not sure why that is, I tried to choose “flat review” and it didn’t seem to change anything.

Hi @Chloe-Mandarin-HSK_5 ,

We just launched (5 minutes ago) new List Building features (and turned our new word approval system back on with upgrades).

But the real news is, our next development cycle is entirely devoted to fixing bugs – and this one is top of the list. Thanks for the screenshots!

Daniel

2 Likes

Always looking out for us aren’t you Daniel! Great work on the updates.

Now I’m back home I will get straight back into Hack :slight_smile:

Wow this is great. Thanks Daniel, it is so great to see how you take our feedback into account! Looking forward to the “adding new words” feature back, and definitely great to filter out the spam/mistypes!

I have just tried out “fast add” and quickly made a new list with 333 hanzi. :sunglasses: :grinning:
That is really great how it works in detail.
You can decide which translation you want for the single characters, or find doubles, and even still choose not to add one or the other of the list in a second step.

One tiny thing @Hack-Chinese-Daniel :
I needed to zoom out a lot to find the “add to list” button on my laptop, after entering my list.

@Hack-Chinese-Daniel
the new way, how you check whether a request for a word in the dictionary is serious and not just a typo, is perfect.! Thank you, it really helps both sides. :sunglasses: :blush:
However it does not work always. I looked for 常事,and would like to have it added, but it always jumps to the entry of 兵家常事。

1 Like

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I finally decided to try hack chinese… I’ve only had it for about 5 days but love it sm :smiling_face_with_tear: I wasn’t really sure how to use it but found the explanation & video on LTL’s website rly helpful. Just wish I started using it ages ago, but it’s never too late I guess :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey Darcey, really pleased the video was useful.

Never too late indeed. You’ll enjoy it, just staying consistent is my top tip :smiley:

1 Like

@Antoine-Mandarin-Intro and @Chloe-Mandarin-HSK_5 , we just made a fix to dashboards (along with a new ‘details’ option on the vocabulary growth chart). The extra ‘weak’ words should be eliminated going forward (they were leeches that were suspended for further review, and always shown as weak). See the full patch notes for details (a few other fixes in there too!) Hack Chinese™ Official

2 Likes

Hi @Hack-Chinese-Daniel
The leeches: Do I understand that correctly, they are blocked for review. So to integrate them again I need to increase the suspension threshold?
If so, there is a little problem. I am super strict with Yes and No, so in my leeches there are many, many characters I guess/know them correctly in all parameters, but I don’t feel safe and therefore give them a No, as I want to see them again and again. (And of course there are the real ones, characters I will probably never use or see again in the near future.)
So I would like to be able to pick out the easy words in my long leeches list and give them a “weak” start again.
Or should I make a list with them and use the Fast Add?
Thanks for any tip. I really love the app. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Hack-Chinese-Daniel for all the updates! Awesome! And yes, my word count has dropped significantly but so have my “weak” words, so I just need to build my vocab all back up again :slight_smile:

Same as Sonja, I was also wondering how best to re-integrate the leeches… I could have guessed they are leeches, every time I am a little unsure on them I just press no - but now I have quite a lot!

Thanks @Hack-Chinese-Daniel , I deactivated the leeches suspension feature and the dashboard is back to normal.
Usually I use the NO option to send back a world into the stack because I want to review it early or again and again even though I still remember the word.

The option is into the algorithm settings :

Hi guys, I am interested to know how you are all finding the leeches function. Do you like it, do you keep the function on?

I only just fully realised that the function blocks so many words, as I was confused why I constatnly had “weak words” in my HSK list. Although I feel like my progress is probably better without the leeches, I am stressed about abandoning these words forever! I have a LOT of leeches (600 or so vs 7600 regular words) because i am very strict with myself.

I wish we could have a function like Sonja suggests, a way to re-add the ones that i would call ‘fake’ leeches - e.g. words I struggled with a lot when I first started Hack but now i would be fine with them, or ones that are important enough that i need to know them even if it takes me 50 times!!

1 Like

I turned mine off. It just makes my daily study time longer, which is fine. most days I open the app and i’m hundreds of words in “debt.” I’d rather really nail those hard to remember words than add more that i’ll just keep forgetting…

2 Likes

@Hack-Chinese-Daniel
If the list of sleeches would be more like a “normal” list, I would love to go through it and sort out my most important words as “assumed known” or “as if new”.

1 Like

I heard a whisper there are some big changes coming to Hack Chinese in the coming months to celebrate a rather big anniversary.

Watch this space and we’ll reveal more soon (we don’t know yet either by the way)!

1 Like

Are we ever going to see a way to select “click to learn as if new” WITHOUT having to find that word in a list? If you have a list that Is several pages, it is very time consuming to find that word. The other solution is to keep creating lots of new lists, also annoying. I often run across words that I have forgotten and want to study as “new” again. Or, some feature that is the opposite of “Boost”, where you click it to show you the word MORE often during the “study” process.

Also, I could not find a way to change my email in the Hack system.

The next update (we are trying so hard to get this out by the end of November, but we will see!) has the ability to change a word’s status from several places - including the dictionary page for that word.

Please email me [email protected] from your old and new email address and I will help you make the email change.

It’s been a while :slight_smile:

While we aren’t quite ready to launch, we do have some images of Hack Chinese 2.0 that we’d thought we’d share here. There is a LOT in HC 2.0, and these images do not show the best features – those are being hidden until release!

Most of these images have not been posted anywhere else, so these are the world first images!

In no particular order, and with lots still subject to change:

Thank you for being so patient in the past year! We can’t WAIT to get this out the door and into your hands!

2 Likes

Oh wow this looks awesome :heart_eyes: can’t wait to try it out!!

1 Like