Anki or Quizlet for Flexi Vocab?

I have used (and still regularly use) both Anki and Quizlet. I would vote for Quizlet because of all the different ways of reviewing it has (and there is -or used to- an addon in Anki to import decks from quizlet

4 Likes

Oh that’s very interesting, I didn’t know you can import decks from Quizlet to Anki. Thanks a lot @Maria-Mandarin-HSK_3
And welcome to the Forum. It’s great to have you here. If you need help with anything just let me know.

1 Like

Hi guys! I would love to have some hack chinese decks and quizlet (with sound) would be great too. I was a regular user of hack chinese although have had a long pause on using it recently… trying to motivate myself to get back into it!

For anki, if the deck was something I could search for easily on the anki app on my phone, then great. If it was something to download, I wouldn’t be interested

2 Likes

Hello Chloe and welcome to the forum. Great to have you with us.
Thanks for the feedback. For Anki yes we would do it inside the app, it should be easy to add them there.
For Hack, the founder of @Hack-Chinese-Daniel just joined here too. :smiley: @Sonja-Mandarin-HSK_3 @Maria-Mandarin-Intro @Jessica-Mandarin-HSK_4 @Marco_Mandarin-HSK_4 I just created a special topic to ask Daniel from Hack any questions or just give general feedback about Hack Chinese. Please go ahead and let him know what you think about Hack. He is the mastermind behind the whole thing.

1 Like

Are you planning on releasing some text version of the lists that we can import to Pleco? It’s many people’s main app even though the flashcards feature is a paid add-on. I have been partially transcribing the vocabulary from the lessons’ PDF files into a text file to move into Pleco but it’s very incomplete and I only have a few lessons :rofl:

2 Likes

So far actually not yet, but thats a great idea. We were thinking about creating decks for Anki or Quizlet. As the Pleco version is paid I thought not so many use it (I might be wrong though?!), though Pleco of course is one of the “essential” Chinese learning apps with it’s dictionaries.

How does it work, is all you need an excel file with the characters, pinyin and English ordered by topic to put in there?

Basically it’s just a text file with values separated by “tabs”. In this case, it’s one I found for the Duolingo App content. First column is the hanzi, second is pinyin (pinyin with numbers also works), third column is the English definition. The first line shows in a comment (//) the folders structure. “Duolingo” would be the top folder, then “Level 1” will be inside “Duolingo” and then “Greeting 1” and “Numbers” would be inside “Level 1” and each will contain one card per line.

2 Likes

I have been using both Anki and Quizlet for language learning for quite some time now.
Currently I use Quizlet to make my own decks and to learn new vocab. I find the Quizlet interface easier to use when memorising the new vocab.

Once I feel confident that I master the new vocab, I import the decks from Quizlet into Anki because of the spaced repetition. It will remind me when certain memories get weaker, and I don’t waste my time with vocab that does not need reinforcing the memory.

For anybody who want to know how to import Quizlet decks into Anki:

Open Anki on your desktop. (not Windows or Android app)

1. Go to Anki>About Anki in the toolbar and verify that you are using Anki 2.1 or above (this add on only works for Anki 2.1 and above).
  2. Go to Tools>Add-ons>Browse & Install.
  3. Paste in the following numerical code and then click OK:
  4. Restart Anki.
  5. Open your web browser and navigate to the Quizlet deck of interest. Copy the URL.
  6. In Anki, go to Tools>Import from Quizlet
  7. Enter the Quizlet deck URL

Note that sometimes, the front and back of cards get flipped. You can change this by selecting all the imported cards, editing the note type, and changing front to back.

2 Likes

Thats great feedback, thanks!
@Rosie-Cao do you think we can create a file like this for Mandarin / Vietnamese?

I do not do flashcards or individual vocab word review at all. I would love to see some kind of writing homework or more fill in the gap exersises (that are not done in class)

yes sure. we can create flashcard in Quizlet first. If they like using Anki rather than Quizlet, we can import Quizlet into Anki following the instruction above

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Flexi Quizlet Deck?