Anki or Quizlet for Flexi Vocab?

We want to create vocab flashcard lists for each Flexi Topic that students can use to revise after the class. We have not yet fully decided which flashcard system to use, but are favoring Quizlet at the moment because the interface is easy to use.
Anki however is also a great option (problems with iPhones though).
Here is a comparison of the two Anki vs Quizlet (for 2021) Which is Better? (Plus Bonus Recommendation)
What does everyone think? Would you prefer to have flash card decks on Quizlet or Anki (or another software?)

Hi Andreas, I’m currently testing hackchinese and have read that you will collaborate?
I think I will stay with hackchinese. :wink:
Sonja

3 Likes

Thanks so much for writing. This is our VERY FIRST student’s comment on the Flexi Forum. How exciting. Welcome and please keep asking questions (and maybe create a post yourself even). I will be there to reply straight away :grinning:
For Hack Chinese, yes we are looking into ways of working together. Hack is a great software and I think a very good complimentary tool for Flexi Classes. They also think that Hack students can benefit from taking real live classes in addition to their content, which I very much agree with.
It’s not one or the other, they best work together in my opinion.

2 Likes

Hackchinese is of course a completely different thing to LTL.
Hackchinese is “only” a clever reminder and motivator to learn vocabulary, the single words, and only in the direction of Chinese to English. It is playful. Up to now I have tried to learn vocabulary with the trainer of LEO, but somehow I always “forget” to practise. So I will finish the trial period with hackchinese first and decide then. I am using a lot of learning stuff and other apps already, but nothing compares to a real native teacher and fixed prepared learning material like in LTL. :+1: :+1: :+1:
Sonja

2 Likes

Yes fully agree. Different solutions for different problems. I studied with just a paper dictionary back then. Things have changed :smiley:

1 Like

I used Anki back in the day when I was living in Beijing, however, I recently tried Quizlet w/ a vocab list I’ve been struggling to remember and really enjoyed the variety of different ways I could review the words. Even though there’s no spaced repetition in Quizlet, I’ve found being forced to activate different learning modes in Quizlet to be more effective with those hard to remember vocabulary words. I could also see Quizlet being more beginner-friendly (while still having plenty of options to challenge more advanced learners).

2 Likes

So thats one vote for Quizlet :grinning:
I agree that Quizlet should have spaced repetition…they used to and then stopped. No idea why

2 Likes

Hi, its a great idea. I have Anki and Anki app, I didn’t know about Quizlet but i can download Quizlet to try it.

2 Likes

+1 to Hack Chinese and +1 to Anki. I started using Hack Chinese only a week ago and I could not be happier. I’ve pretty much moved all of my Anki decks into Hack Chinese already! But when it comes to Quizlet vs. Anki, I think Anki is more helpful because of spaced repetition. So of those two I’d say Anki :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So thats Anki 2 vs Quizlet 1 so far. Lets see what everyone else will say

1 Like

Marco I’ve been using Hack for over a year now and I have failed to find a better way to absorb characters. I’m closing in on 5,000 characters now and it just remain super addictive.

Anki or Quizlet? I pick Hack! :rofl:

3 Likes

I can’t get enough of it!!! I wish I knew about it way earlier. :joy:

2 Likes

As a non Hack Chinese user, I am not so familiar with the features. Would it work for practicing vocab for a Flexi Topic after class?

One issue would be that it’s Mandarin only and wouldn’t work for Shanghainese or Japanese I assume?

1 Like

It certainly would work for helping with vocab after lessons but yes, right now it’s just Mandarin. I am sure they’ll be expanding this one day though.

2 Likes

I recently tried Hack Chinese too, and I really loved the layout and dashboard. I also like how you can hover over the characters and see an example sentence, so you’re not just memorizing words without context (I’m not sure if that pops up for all characters though). I ran into a few situations where it said the word I wanted to add wasn’t in the dictionary, but that was rare (also possibly my error!). It’s super fast to add new words to your lists. Once, I left it open in another tab during one of my Flexi Classes and added new words to my personal list as they came up in the class. It’s more expensive but I think I will end up subscribing.

4 Likes

We’re working on ways to integrate our lesson content into Hack Chinese lists also Jessica.

When we get something sorted we’ll be emails subscribers. Should make learning on both Hack and Flexi more seamless than ever :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I only know about Quizlet (been using it for other languages) but if everyone decides on Anki I see no problem switching! Also thanks to @Jessica-Mandarin-HSK_4’s “review” I think I’m gonna check out Hack, it sounds really great! :o

2 Likes

Maria just a heads up, we have a partnership with Hack where you can get 50% off but it ends on June 1st and changes to 15%. Just wanted to let you know in case you miss the discount! If you want to link, drop me an email ([email protected]) and I’ll be happy to help you :grinning:

3 Likes

I will definitely stay with Hackchinese. What I really like is this getting-addicted-to-learning-style (as with Duolingo, or - I want to gather all lesson texts of the My Level list on LTL).
Just one important detail for me is, Hackchinese can show you the original tone of the individual characters in a word together with the changed tone.
I’ll drop you an email, Max, of course I’m interested in the 50% off. :wink:

2 Likes

omg yes gotta hurry up thank you for reminding me!! :joy:

2 Likes