You Don’t Understand Everything In Your Native Language. Stop Trying To Do So In Chinese!

One of my most misguided thought patterns when learning Chinese involved the commonly held belief that my ultimate goal must be to understand everything.

In this blog I’ll explain why I think it’s based on flawed thinking which if left uncorrected can have detrimental effects on your learning. I’ll also suggest how you can reframe your goals towards a more productive mindset :slight_smile:

Let me know your thoughts! You Don’t Understand Everything In Your Native Language. Stop Trying To Do So In Chinese – I'm Learning Mandarin

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your link Mischa - we always welcome this.

I think you raise a really interesting topic. I cannot count the amount of times I’ve been asked “what does x mean?” by non-natives - and I’ve been stumped!

Putting pressure on ourselves to understand it all isn’t the way to go about it and I think it’s important for us to remind ourselves of this.

Well said :clap:

1 Like

Thanks Max! Glad you agree :slight_smile:

I completely agree! Sometimes I find myself listening to people talking in my target language, and I realise that I’m understanding almost everything they say even though I do not understand every word, and that’s just fine!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on learning Chinese. It was very helpful, and I totally agree with your insight.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Very true!

1 Like