Whats the difference in "city versions?" Do I want SH or BJ for simplified?

What does the BJ in city versions stand for? What is the difference between the BJ and SH curriculum?

2 Likes

Both cities (BJ Beijing / SH Shanghai) actually have quite a distinguished accent but it really doesnt matter for classes so far. All classes are in Putonghua, so it doesnt matter. :slight_smile:

It does not matter. All city versions are standard mandarin simplified.
We will actually get rid of the Beijing city versions, because it creates too much confusion. They are meant to be a different way to study the same topic if someone wants to study a topic twice. However it confuses too many people, so we will remove them. There will be only one city version in the future for all topics (currently called SH Shanghai) for Intro HSK 1 soon (like all the other levels too).
For the moment, dont worry about which city version at all, just study the class you want to.

was it meant to be Shanghainese (etc…) or just more about accent differences on the same language structure? I’d love to be able to learn some Sichuanese…

1 Like

No it’s not Shanghainese. It’s exactly the same language Mandarin. One is a version that talks more about Shanghai (going to the bund etc) one more about Beijing (climb the great wall etc). Same grammar.

We do offer Shanghainese classes as another language though. Give it a try. We have Cantonese and Taiwanese too. No sichuanese though, as so far not enough people have asked us to (I count you as the first)

lol, yea, I imagine there aren’t too many interested in Sichuanese. I suspect I’m in a small group of non natives that worked with engineering in Chengdu.

1 Like

Hi Guys
To avoid confusion, We will slowly remove the BJ and TP version in Mandarin class.
In the future, when you book a simplified Mandarin class, you will be taught by Shang Hai version.
We will create another language called Mandarin traditional so anyone who loves to learn traditional character can book these classes. TP will be the city version for Mandarin traditional.
Hope that will help

1 Like