What is your best travel tip? I'll start

As we slowly emerge from the pandemic and borders begin to reopen, many of us are excited to start planning our next adventures. But as experienced travellers know, traveling can be stressful and challenging, especially if you’re visiting a new place for the first time.

That’s why I wanted to start a discussion and ask: What’s your best travel tip?

For me, one of the best travel tips I’ve received is to always bring a second phone with you and leave it at the hotel. If you lose your phone or have it stolen, you can always go back to the hotel and find your second phone there, connect to the wifi and still be able to reach out to friends/family, check in for your return flight etc

Whether it’s a packing hack, a budget-saving technique, or a piece of advice that’s helped you navigate a foreign culture, I want to hear it all! Share your favourite travel tips with the community and help us all make the most out of our future trips :muscle:

1 Like

When I went on Erasmus, I had with me a checked suitcase and a carry-on bag.

What I did was put 2/3 outfits in the carry-on bag as well, in case the checked suitcase got lost. This was my mum’s advice because her luggage got lost so many times that she is a pro now :joy:

2 Likes

I definitely should start doing that too! You never know what could happen :sweat_smile:

One tip I learnt from my recent trip to Vietnam

Understand how much a taxi should cost from the airport! :sweat_smile:

Go into it blind at your peril.

That’s a good one, we should look at prices beforehand to get an idea, and it really works for any country!

How much should it cost in Vietnam?

So true! I remember paying 40€ for a taxi in Naples that took me from the train station to the city centre. When I had to come back, I took another taxi from the city centre to the train station and it costed me 25€… :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

It should’ve been 150,000VND which is incredibly just over 5GBP (6EUR).

I ended up paying a fair bit more, nearer 30GBP.

In my defense, I thought it was cheap. London you’re looking into near 3 figures.

We live and learn! Don’t be me :sweat_smile:

That’s exactly what I was looking for by creating this thread, so thank you for sharing your experience :blush:

1 Like

I second this! Especially if you’re on a connecting flight!

I worked in tourism before and so many of our guests’ suitcases were lost during transit, so having 1-2 outfits in your carry-on is something I now also do!

Also: inform yourself about the tipping culture beforehand. Let me say that we weren’t very popular in restaurants after spending so much time in China and completely forgetting some people expect a tip. :sweat_smile:

So true!! In Italy we usually don’t give tips. I remember a friend of mine, coming back from a trip to the US, telling me she almost got into a fight with a waitress because she forgot to tip her… :sweat_smile:

1 Like