What is the longest word in your native language?

Hi everyone, what is the longest word in your native language?

I’ve seen recently that in Vietnamese it is “nghiêng” which looks short to me, as in French (my native language) it is “anticonstitutionnellement” :flushed:

It means “unconstitutional” in English. Let me know yours!

2 Likes

In Italian is “precipitevolissimevolmente” (26 letters!). Fun fact: it means “in a hurry” :joy: definitely a paradox!

1 Like

Love the meaning of that Italian word!!

English - there has always been some debate over this but after just checking with our friend Google it seems the longest word is

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - a huge 45 letters long. It’s a form of lung disease so let’s hope we never have to see or hear it!

I remember at school everyone would claim the longest word was Antidisestablishmentarianism which is just the 28 letters. Apparently that is the 4th longest word.

Crazy that VIetnamese is only 7 letters!

I wonder what language has the worlds biggest word?! My guess would be something like German or Finnish… :woozy_face:

1 Like

German enters the chat…

Actually,…since just adding nouns upon nouns upon nouns is possible in German, words can be long as heck. Google-searched and for a long time the longest word in the dictionary was Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz (65 letters).

Was waiting for German to flex it’s muscles!

1 Like

wow, that impressive! What’s the meaning of that? :open_mouth:

Beef Labeling Supervision Duties Transfer Law :smiley:

2 Likes

OK no one was guessing that! :rofl:

Oh wow there is an actual word for that!!

The longest German word is:
Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

79 letters, but it’s just a humorous made-up word to prove what the German language is capable of.

It means something like:
Danube steamship-electricity central maintenance facility-subordinate officials-society

:robot: :robot: :robot: :robot: :robot:
ChatGPT knows:
Vietnamese:
“thuốc diệt cỏ không độc hại” (18 letters) translates to “non-toxic weed killer” in English.
Finnish:
The Finnish word “lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas” has 61 letters. It is a compound word that refers to a military rank for an apprentice aircraft jet turbine engine mechanic non-commissioned officer.