There are more than 300 languages in China!

“How many languages are spoken in China? According to Ethnologue.com there are 292 living languages in China. Many others exist, but are extinct today.”

Here’s the beginning of an article I spent some time doing research for :muscle:

I am not an expert on the history of China, nor on the linguistics of each languages so I have learned a lot while working on this article.

It really reinforced my idea that the Chinese languages and their history really are fascinating!

This is a very extensive topic, so I tried to keep it simple allowing readers to quickly find and easily understand the information they are looking for.

This could be a good starting point if you are doing research for school or for your personal projects.

I found that the information available online were either very complex and difficult to understand, or the explanations very messy. So, I hope you will find this article interesting, a bit more structured and easy to navigate :pray:

3 Likes

292…and I thought we were doing well with teaching four (Mandarin, Shanghainese, Cantonese and Hokkien).
288 more to go…

2 Likes

This is fascinating! Thank you @Marine.

It would be great to see a comparison of a few basic phrases in the 4 Chinese languages LTL teaches like 你好, 谢谢,再见 etc with audio pronunciation.

Do we have that anywhere?

3 Likes

Oh yes. Could be a fun video too!

2 Likes

We could ask our teachers to read different phrases and record on loom and then cut into a video

1 Like

That’s a fantastic idea! Looking forward to that video.

1 Like

We don’t have this kind of video at the moment but definitely something we could work on. Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes