The "New" HSK Exam in July?

A good summary of the new HSK exam on New HSK Exam (Launching March 2022) // Full Word List & Quiz
They are saying that it should change from July 1st, however so far I have not heard of any test center offering anything.
Has anyone heard of someone going to take the new HSK?

My understanding (from reading over a dozen articles I found online) is that the new HSK ‘7-8-9’ exam will first be given in March of 2022 (not this year!), and the 1-6 exams will not change until 2024 at the earliest.

3 Likes

Yes we heard similar things from Hanban (we called them and asked) but the Ministry of Education seems to have its own thoughts. Very strange all together.
Pretty messy the whole thing

2 Likes

So the latest update is that HSK 1-6 will not change at the moment, 7-9 will start as trial exams in December 2021 and in March 2022 7-9 levels will officially be added.
These people need to make up their mind…

2 Likes

Wow - exams not changing til 2024 at the earliest is way later than I expected! Perhaps I do still have time to get HSK…

Slightly seperate but related topic… Is there anyone at LTL Taipei who could advise on taking the “old” HSK exams in Taiwan or online this year? I am interested to take the HSK while I still can, as I don’t plan to learn writing ever (so I think the “new” HSKs will be forever out of reach), but there seems to be very little recent info on this online…

1 Like

The HSK is not offered in Taiwan unfortunately. You are not allowed to (we asked to become a test HSK center in Taipei, it’s not possible).

There are currently no HSK from home exams at the moment anymore either (might come back if the pandemic surges again), so at the moment from Taiwan it would not be possible.

Ah bummer. Explains why I couldn’t find any info on it then! Thanks for the info.

1 Like

@Chloe-Mandarin-HSK_5 about writing…
If you do the HSK as an online test, I thought typing is accepted as writing, isn’t it?
I wonder up to which grade though.

1 Like

My understanding of the new tests was that actual handwriting was compulsory after HSK 3… Hopefully I am mistaken :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good news :smiley: No you do not have to hand write. For HSK 1 & 2 no writing at all is required.
From HSK onwards there is a writing section. Depending if you take the paper based or computer based test you will either handwrite or type on a computer.
That’s why we recommend all students to take the computer based exam from HSK 3 onwards.

Note though that not all test centers will offer the computer based test because they might not have the necessary IT equipment. Then it’s paper only.

3 Likes