Summer heatwave - 大暑

My colleague sent me this which I thought was very amusing. Here in Taipei it’s super hot - but I hear the weather in Europe is almost the same temperatures too!!

This Saturday marks 大暑 Da Shu, or the “Great Heat”, the 12th of the 24 solar terms in the traditional Chinese calendar. When the “Great Heat” begins and half of the year has passed.

Being the last solar term in the summer, it also marks that the scorching heat has reached its peak. The ancient Chinese people described the world during this period as “steaming and boiling”.

This sounds pretty accurate to me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

As a Brit you can imagine the meltdown (excuse the awful pun) from the public and media here Chloe.

Some areas hit 40 on Tuesday, genuinely like I’ve never felt here before. Tried to stay inside as much as possible but with no A/C, hardly a solution.

It felt like when you walk past those giant outdoor fans in Asia that blows hot heat.

Cooling back now and the worst of it seems over. I think the UK was the hottest place in Europe and Asia combined on Tuesday which I don’t think I’ve ever seen in my life before.

3 Likes

41° in Paris at the beginning of this week and same in the North region of France.
The South of the country was “only” 36°!

Very unusual, I heard some people’s shoes melted as they walked on the streets

1 Like