Quickfire Podcast I Found

Hey guys, wanted to share a podcast I found through Instagram. It’s called Mandarin with Nana and is on Spotify.

She provides quick 3-5 minute dialogues which I find super useful.

I’d say you’d best be HSK 3 or above to follow. She does also provide transcripts and has a website, Instagram etc so she’s quite extensive.

I found the variety of topics useful and I added her to our top Chinese podcasts to learn here.

We also spoke on the phone and I’m hoping we can colab somehow to make some podcasts so watch this space

(Ps - if anyone has any tips on making good quality podcast content from afar, I’d love to hear them. Nana is based in China and I’m in England so we aren’t fully sure on the best way to record this.)

4 Likes

Really like this podcast! Perfect bite sized episodes and all in Chinese, great

3 Likes

Likewise, I listened to about 10 (2-3 times over) on a transport the other day.

I also met Nana on the phone twice recently to talk about ways we can work together in future. We might be doing some IG Live’s soon so stay tuned for though, along with some other stuff :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! Really interesting, and I love how short the dialogues are. Definitely bookmarking this one for days when I’m short on time or will be spending a lot of time on public transport. Going to check out the rest of the list now!

1 Like

Anyone got any other podcast recommendations?

I just started my new job and it involves a more lengthy bus journey - currently singing along to myself to Chinese songs but I am interested in other recommendations :slight_smile:

1 Like

http://popupchinese.com/ has always been my favorite podcast. A bit dated (they no longer update it) and definitely more than a bit quirky, but still really good and now completely free with transcripts. Some of the phrases from the dialog have stuck with me over the years. I challenge you to try this intermediate lesson about finding an Ayi (it’s less than 2 minutes): Hiring in Hangzhou

1 Like

Lol. That is a tough one :joy:

1 Like

Not exactly a podcast but perfect (not just for) lengthy bus journeys: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz8r17IjQRrIQigsgAMr_2Q

I recommend Journey to the West. I’ve been reading the graded readers and listening to the free recordings. They’re around HSK4 level and quite entertaining. There are even traditional and Kindle versions.

1 Like

Here’s another one recommended by one of my teachers: Talk Taiwanese Mandarin with Abby (check out 小王子/The Little Prince).

@Chloe-Mandarin-HSK_5 might already know this one, but perhaps it will be useful for somebody else.

3 Likes

Yes I listen to that at the moment! it’s very good. I also like Inspire Mandarin (but speed it up a bit as it’s a little slow)

1 Like

For those who really like or need a slower pace (like me! :sweat_smile:) I’d highly recommend TeaTime Chinese, hosted by Nathan Rao.

3 Likes

@Michael-Mandarin-HSK_2ish I very much like Nathan’s voice and way of talking. (Perfect sound technique as well) But this podcast still has to wait for me a while. :wink:

As a very first podcast I recommend Maayot beginner.
https://www.maayot.com/ (Listening is free on spotify, there are three levels.)

What I do is listen to Maayot Beginner every Sunday only.
The beginner stories are very short, about 2 min only.
The free version:
I get a mail every Sunday, when the daily story has a free transcript. This is the story I listen to and read it afterwards.

1 Like

I like the Slow Chinese podcast by Learn Chinese with Mei! It’s at an HSK3 level or so and she tells stories about different 成语. She tells the story at a slow speed in Chinese, and then explains it in English. There are transcripts available as well. The podcast is available on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.

3 Likes

That’s a good one! Just added it to my library.

Here’s the link if anyone would like to have a look too: Slow Chinese Podcast

Chinese with Mei, very nice videos on youtube as well.
A lot of easy songs e.g.
the (musically) best version of 听我说邪恶写你
(I have piano sheets, but they don’t sound as good…)

Now I will write this version down as a piano song for two of my piano students who have a Chinese mother. :wink:

1 Like

Actually this Chinese mother’s birthday is next week, so I will quickly teach my two students to sing it in English and Chinese (instead of German) when playing the Happy birthday song.

I am a singer as well, but I am not very fond of singing in Chinese. When you sing you pronounce everything in the first tone, that’s so weird.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation, @Michael-Mandarin-HSK_2ish ! Nathan’s podcasts and lessons are well researched and presented. I think even more advanced students will benefit from them by either increasing the playback speed or using them for background listening.

Also, I found an especially interesting lecture: Nathan Rao "The history and development of Shanghainese" - YouTube.

It’s quite fascinating, even if you don’t intend to study Shanghainese.

2 Likes