New HSK at home (online) guidelines

Quite interesting. Seems that people living in places where no in person HSKs (how do they check that?) are offered can take the HSK exam from home. That’s significantly more convenient. Anyone applying for the HSK at home here?

We have/had? the so-called HSK home edition in Europe due to Covid. I have seen test dates for last December and June.

1 Like

I had registered for the June at-home HSK4 but you still have to go through the Confucius Institute that is offering it. I registered on chinesetest.cn and then was told to contact the Confucius Institute in Monterrey to pay for my test. I emailed and called a million times, but I never heard back. So I never took it. :man_shrugging:

Hopefully next time the Mexico City Confucius Institute will offer the test so I can go bang on their door and demand they take my money. :joy:

4 Likes

haha, that sounds very much like the process. Its pretty messy. Even in China signing up is often pretty troublesome.
For the HSK at home I dont see how they can restrict people taking it from anywhere in the world (you can just choose to say you live wherever that test is being offered).
Good luck and I hope it works. In the meantime you have the LTL HSK level certificate too.

Hi Marco, I’m also in CDMX. Let me know if you get the Mexico City Confucius Institute to offer the test. I’ve been unsuccessful in getting them to answer me.

cheers,
Francis

2 Likes

if you two ever get to meet in Mexico, please send a picture - that would be our first Flexi student meeting in real life :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ll go pay them a visit next week and report back! They’re literally half a mile from my apartment so I really don’t know why I haven’t gone sooner. I honestly don’t think anybody will be there, but I’ll keep you posted.

3 Likes

I looking into the HSK exam at home, but was not able to register. HSK at home exams are not available in Switzerland. I could register in the UK or in Germany, but would have to travel to the UK or Germany to take the examination. Given covid, that’s a bit extreme. Only paper based exams are available here. Not even online exams. I suppose that there is no much demand.

1 Like

Very interesting.
How would they check if you are in the UK while taking the exam though? It’s taken from home so by definition that can be anywhere.

I understand what they are trying to do from a business side - protecting exam centers that don’t offer the HSK exam at home as otherwise probably everyone would take the HSK exams at home and then the other centers would loose all their revenue - however exam wise it makes no sense and at least to me seems completely uninforceable?

I believe that you can identify where someone is with his/her IP address. There are always ways and means if you know how!

1 Like

Yes but you could always use VPN to make it look like you’re in the “correct country”. I, too, think that the location requirement is unenforceable.

2 Likes

Yes. Maybe the address where they will send the certificate could be an issue but I am not even sure if they send hard copies.
If anyone tries it lets us know how it went :relaxed:

1 Like

I’m a bit annoyed that you must use a Windows computer to take the test. I don’t have such a computer at home and don’t intend to buy one just for the test :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh really that’s a requirement? Interesting…

1 Like

Just for the reference the official announcement: 新闻公告--汉语考试服务网

2 Likes

Thanks! Looks like they would use the IP address to determine location. That’s very easy to get around with a VPN

1 Like