Learning languages with video games?

I don’t remember how but I came across this new app called Fluyo that looks like a video game, and you’re a dolphin on an adventure (watch the trailer you’ll see what I mean :laughing:)

So I’m wondering now, has anyone ever used video games to practice their target language?

We’ve talked about changing your phone’s language but how about changing the language of a video game? Playing Pokemon in Japanese for example?

I’m curious to know about other students experiences as I’ve never done it!

1 Like

my Yoga app (with videos), if that counts as video app, haha: I usually switch it to Italian or French. Anyway, already English is a foreign language.
Duolingo,
also not really a video game, but recently I have tried Italian for Chinese people.
新单词,继续,太给力了!Nice to find these known expressions in a “real” environment.

I didn’t think of other apps but well done for the yoga one!

1 Like

I have some friends who loved playing japanese video games and they started to learn some words because all the instructions were in Japanese!

I think it’s very useful to combine fun with learning

1 Like

Using video games to learn a language has tons of potential. I know many people who learned English/Japanese through playing Pokemon when they were kids. Since they got into the language while they were young they pretty much sound native now. So jealous.

I was really into German in College and several years after. I played an online MMO RPG called Everquest which had German servers and a German client. Since I knew the game already from playing it in English, transitioning to German was pretty easy. But speaking to German people in German in a German only speaking environment was a whole new experience. It was a bit surreal for me at the time and really helpful for my German.

I got into Japanese about 10 years ago and tried playing Japanese RPG games on Playstation like Final Fantasy but it was too hard for me at the time mostly due to the writing system. My Japanese is much better now (I got JLPT N2 a while back) and I tried Final Fantasy online in Japanese and it went much better but was still pretty challenging. I hadn’t ever played it in English so I was trying to learn the game using only Japanese. I didn’t keep it up though for a few reasons - one of which is I wanted to study Korean instead.

I think video games are excellent for improving your language though. Since they’re interactive they force you to use the language rather than just passively absorbing it. I found playing Final Fantasy online in Japanese to be a lot more challenging than reading a book in Japanese. Potentially, if I kept playing the game, I would have had the opportunity to interact with Japanese players too which would be awesome.

I’m studying Korean now and there are plenty of Korean versions of games out there but any Korean online games are strictly regulated by the Korean government. I think it’s to protect Korean kids. Basically you need the equivalent of a Korean social security number or something to play on them I believe. So I don’t think it’s an option for Korean leaners.

6 Likes

Thank so much for sharing your experience, that was a really interesting read.

Playing video games in one’s target language is an immersive experience indeed, as like you said everything is written in that language and you play with native speakers, which would allow for speaking/listening practice.

Interesting fact about Korean games, I didn’t know about that!