HSKlevel Review

Hi Max,

Thanks for the offer, I’d be very happy of course if you decide to write a review and promote it on your newsletter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Charlene,

Thank you for the great review :slight_smile: The test indeed adjusts the level of the questions to you, while keeping enough diversity in the asked words.

It’s nice that your tests’ results correspond to your level! Even though I know all the nuts and bolts of the algorithm, I’m always amazed that 60 questions are enough to give accurate results!

I think you make good use of the “so-so” button. It reminds me that I’ve run some tests when I added the “so-so” button a few months ago, and it happens that before adding the button, most people would say they knew the word when they now say “so-so” :sweat_smile:

I wish you the best in your learning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’ll add it to our list :slight_smile:

3 Likes

After feeling pretty good about my Chinese recently (albeit being too busy to have any lessons with LTL lately!) I seem to have even levelled up here…! :open_mouth:

I have actually been trying to grade myself harsher but I have also done a lot of reading vocab the last two months. Again, I think it’s on the high side for the estimation but I have maintained fairly consistent throughout.

5 Likes

Nice! Congrats on passing 10k words!

3 Likes

Goals! Superb effort Chloe.

Love all those non-HSK words in there as well, often the ones that are more interesting and fun to use, or at least I found.

2 Likes

Hi there! Just a small update on the new features of the test (hsklevel.com):

8 Likes

Nice work Pierre, you’ve got something really quite cool there.

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi there!

I’ve got some updates on the test (link in first post):

• I’ve improved the algorithm behind the test, so the test should be a bit more precise;
  • The test can give results up to 20,000 words (instead of 15,000 before). The 5,000 new tested words are of two types: more difficult / rarer words and easy words that were previously not tested. It means that if you have a very advanced level, the test will be more accurate for you, and in any case, the “know words count” should be higher than before since it will also counts those newly tested easy words. If you’ve taken the test in the past, your past results have been recalculated and you’ll notice some difference in the “progression” chart.

Happy Chinese learning all :slight_smile:
Pierre

3 Likes

Hey!

I’ve just added a character test to hsklevel. So now there are two distinct tests: the vocabulary test, and the new character test.

That’s it for this update, hope you like it and I’d be really thankful if you have any feedback :slight_smile:

Happy Chinese learning,
Pierre

4 Likes

Very useful. I really like this split into definitions, pinyin and handwriting.

I’ve been wanting to know how many actual characters I can recognise, rather than words but an estimation is still useful. My first character test on hsklevel is:

• Understanding: You can understand 400 characters
  • Pronunciation: You can pronounce 425 characters
  • Handwriting: You can handwrite 90 characters

I’m not sure what the usual percentage of vocabulary to characters is. My vocabulary on HackChinese today (before my revision) is 2276. I can definitely write more than 90 characters as I recently wrote a short 250 word article on Chinese poetry by memory, although some characters were repeated.

Thank you very much, Pierre, for this excellent test!

2 Likes

Hey Kelly, thanks a lot for your feedback :slight_smile:
I’ve just modified the algorithm to better estimate the handwriting part, so it should be a bit better now. Basically the test uses the frequency of the characters (the more frequent a character is, the greater the probability that you know it), but I’ve changed that for the handwriting part to take into account the number of strokes as well.

2 Likes

Hi there!
Long time no see, but HSKlevel hasn’t had many updates in the last few months.
I’ve actually just improved the estimation algorithm behind the characters (i.e. hanzi) test, so it should be much more precise now. I’ve also improved the vocabulary test, but the improvement is less impressive since the test was already quite precise.

Happy Chinese learning :slight_smile:
Pierre

2 Likes

Hey hey!
You can now test how many chengyu (成语) you know, up to 5000+ chengyu, in a new separate test on HSK level.
Hope you like it :slight_smile:
Pierre

3 Likes