HSK books in traditional characters?

Long shot but thought worth asking here - I am looking to see if the HSK 4/5 books exist in traditional character versions?

From online research seems not, but thought I’d try here just in case :slight_smile:

Thanks
Chloe

1 Like

This is a link for materials from NTU that goes up to C1 level of CEFR, which corresponds more or less with hsk 5…
https://mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/eng/book/A_Course_in_Contemporary_Chinese.html

1 Like

Thanks John :slight_smile: I already have the Contemporary Chinese series (studying 當代課本 4 at the moment) but trying to see if there is HSK as well, to diversify my studying more.

1 Like

I actually have to pass on this one. There might be, but I have never come across one.
Hong Kong might be the one place I could imagine that might have one?

Hi, @Chloe-Mandarin-HSK_5 You live in Taiwan, right? Sorry, but why are you interested in HSK at all? Sorry, you might have your reason of course. As far as I know, Taiwan has the TOCFL and that is what you need in Taiwan. So, I think HSK is only for simplified characters, whereas TOCFL is the one with traditional characters.

Fair question! My specific reason for asking is that I am using a new online course (Zero to Hero) and the material references the HSK books

In general though, I already use the Contemporary Chinese series which leads up to TOCFL. I’m not particularly interested in taking any test, but HSK is a more internationally recognized standard, so if I ever were to take a test, I would prefer that - I don’t know that most people outside of Taiwan would even know what the TOCFL was or what it’s levels stood for

OH and another main reason - I think it’s good to use multiple textbooks / references to see where the gaps are in your earlier level knowledge. I remember thinking it was crazy that certain things were missed in HSK 1/2/3 level vocab lists that were covered in the first books of Contemporary Chinese (TOCFL) but also vice versa - HSK had some words that were missing for CC. There is a second main textbook in traditional called Practical Audio Visual that I also want to get for this reason.

1 Like

:smiley: I also believe in spiral learning.
And, you know, my Chinese name is 书海。 Others buy shoes or a new car, - I love to surround myself with books and media. And there is also a second interpretation, the best place for me and books is 海边。 :desert_island:

Thanks for mentioning Zero to Hero. I started to watch the free stuff.
AND discovered a link to Home - Kong Long Mandarin
I had watched a bit of Peppa Pig already once before and will go on now with this excellent help. This Kong Long page is absolutely fantastic. E.g. enjoyed the article about how to say no in Chinese:
Learn How to Say No in Chinese with Peppa Pig - Kong Long Mandarin
I will write an extra topic about it here when I have watched and studied more of it.

2 Likes

Don’t know if there is an HSK specific textbook with traditional characters, but I think that Yuandong has both Simplified and Traditional versions.
One other thing that you can do for example is take the list of vocabulary for each HSK level in Simplified and use a Converter to change it from Simplified to Traditional. It likely won’t be perfect 100% of the time, but overall I’ve used this previously with quite a bit of success.

2 Likes