Hanzi vs Kanji | Which team are you?

The topic differences between Hanzi vs Kanji has been very popular on our Instagram accounts @ltl_mandarin and @ltl_japanese so I thought I’d share some here as well!

I was thinking about doing “similar words in Korean and Chinese” or Korean and Japanese or Vietnamese and Chinese, any words you’d like me to include in these posts?

The Hanzi vs Kanji post was inspired from this blog article:

4 Likes

It’s really quite a bit more different than I thought it would be. For food seems to work relatively well in Japanese restaurants though

Japanese Kanji have two readings generally.

The Onyomi (which is carried over from Chinese and sounds sometimes quite similar) and the Kunyomi.

The latter is the Japanese reading and rarely sounds the same.

With the former, Onyomi, is it quite often pretty similar to the Chinese which is helping me remember.

Plenty of correlations to discover which I am still finding out about everyday!

3 Likes

That’s a really good blog post @Marine. Sarah did a great job. By the way, such phrases are called false friends :slight_smile:

False friends are those confusing words that appear or sound identical or similar to words in their own language, yet have different meanings or senses. You can totally embarrass yourself by saying something that means a completely different thing in the target language (e.g. by trying to give a “gift” to @Andreas_Admin_Flexi :wink: ).

Here’s a fun article about these little linguistic traps in European languages.

5 Likes

Thanks Ben, Sarah has written a few articles for us, always top quality ones.

I remember false friends were really tricky for me when I studied English at school, as French is my native language and both languages have lots of words in common :dizzy_face:

I read the article and had absolutely no idea about “gift” in German!!

4 Likes

@Ben-Mandarin-HSK_5 haha! How did that go for @Andreas_Admin_Flexi?! The nature of the gift may be tied to HSK examination results…

2 Likes

Another false friend German-English: Sinn - sin.
My English friend who is learning German with me recently complained that this German “Sinn” makes no sense to him. (Sinn=sense) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

The beauty of language learning :joy: