Hack Chinese Review

Just thinking, I wonder whether you could do something similar with LLN (Language learning with Netflix)? It already has an option to download your list of saved words into pdf, html, etc. That would be amazing!

w

Similarly with Pleco - another app that I save a list of words on but currently do nothing with… ! Although I guess as Pleco has their own flashcard system they might not be willing to co-operate.

Worth thinking about :slight_smile: but for now I am very happy with the Du Chinese import!

1 Like

Chloe,

I’ll reach out to language reactor and see if they’re interested in collaborating!

Thanks for the idea!

Daniel

3 Likes

In “Everyday Study” it appears to me that in a specific session, I often get presented a bunch of words that I had originally entered the same day. For me, this typically applies to words learned in the same HSK Standard Course chapter, like 护照 / 行李箱 (hùzhào / xínglǐ xiāng). It makes sense for words that I have entered the same day and always marked as known or unknown equally they will always end up having the same memory strength and thus have a higher likeliness to be presented to me in the same study session. Kind of like two (or more) sticky cards in a card deck that you are shuffling.

However, being asked for “suitcase” first, makes it more likely for me to correctly guess “passport” and vice versa. It would be nice to not run into these two words in the same session again and again, but rather in different sessions, so I could check whether my (unfortunately limited) memory has access to them independently. One possible implementation would be to add or subtract a small random value to/from the memory strength, whenever it is presented to the user. I do not think that would impair the spaced repetition strategy significantly, while making sure that pairs / bunches of sticky cards are forcedly separated.

Just a little thing, not important. Hack Chinese rocks! I have no idea where I would be without it.

4 Likes

Is there any way to make a longer list of “recently learned words”?

I have the below list, but when i click on “see all” there is no way to expand it, and I can only see the words I have recently studied (which are mostly 600+ days interval so I don’t need to practice outside of Hack).

I wonder if there could be a tab next to “Learned, Assumed, Hard” etc of “New words learnt in the last X weeks” or something? It would be great to have this for practicing with my new vocab (e.g. playing articulate, making example sentences, etc)

Wonder if others would also find this helpful, or have a way around it?

1 Like

Interval number - it is not the number of days with recently learned words. It is the number of memory strength a word can get. E.g.: After 600 days this word will be repeated.
In my case
I can see all of my 1900 words in hackchinese. 76 lists of I think 25 words each or so.
Maybe I don’t understand your question really… what about your “hard words” that really need to be looked at?

For me I would like the “recently learnt” words, not the hard words - e.g. words with interval 1 day, 2 day, maybe up to 7 day only, ones that I have only just added to my rotation of words on hack. Even if i could just “sort” by interval that would be amazing.

I can see all lists themselves, but I have (too many :smile_cat:) lists I swap between depending on what I feel like studying or what textbook my teachers are using - so my “recent learnt” is a real mix between these.

I think this would be helpful in reviewing new vocab learnt on hack, but I can of course go back to all my original lists

hm, as far as I understand hackchinese:
the words that get the interval 1 day, up to 6 days, are exactly what is the main part of the “hard” words. Of course plus those you “never” can remember or “again” can’t remember. New words always start with the interval number (1 day). And they work their way up.
How big is your “hard words” list? Is it too big, too many exotic words, you don’t want to review? Then block them temporarily.

Second method: Where do you save your recently learned words? I create a list for every month and call them 2022 March, 2022 April, I have an automatically synced list for Du, lists for LTL, for every book… So I could now review the words of my first April week only, or the four weeks of March. You can review simply by hovering over the words, or you click “cram” on the right side.

1 Like

It’s been a minute since I’ve been in these forums so thanks for your patience! We have a few ideas on shuffling cards around that we hope to implement this summer. Your suggestion is noted. Thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

Great idea!

2 Likes

Good to hear from you again Daniel.

I’ve had a little language slump recently, life gets in the way easily! Looking forward to getting back into Hack and my Mandarin studies when these updates come about.

Excited to see the changes coming to Hack mentioned in your email.

2 Likes

@Hack-Chinese-Daniel, it would be cool if the “your word has been added” mail would have a direct link to the new word in hc. Of course I want to add “my” new words to a list immediately. :sunglasses: :woman_student:

3 Likes

I believe there are some big updates coming to Hack Chinese soon - who is still keeping up their Hack Streak?

Admittedly after about 2 years pretty much non stop I’ve had 3 months off and come back to 3,000 weak memories.

Time to chip away in time for these updates!

3 Likes

3,000 reviews, hmmm!

One feature in the new release is an ability to mark words as ‘permanently memorized’. Like blocked words, memorized words will not show up in your study sessions. However, they will be counted as ‘known’ in your list views, dashboards, and statistics pages.

Surely some of those 3k words are good candidates for this new flag! :wink:

Daniel

4 Likes

That’s a nice update. Excited to see everything you’ve been working on.

I very much hope so Daniel!

2 Likes

Haha! I thought I was the leader with my 1000+ reviews due last year. Impressive. Good luck with the clearing those :slight_smile:

Perhaps some time for another screenshare…

Looking back at the last time I shared my screen in November 2021, I had 3700ish words. I have almost doubled that in the last 7 months :slight_smile:. I’d say that’s a combination of having ~6 weeks dedicated to full time Chinese class, and generally putting more of my spare time into learning Chinese.

I do have a lottt of reviews due today, mostly because the last two weeks I’ve been on a business trip to a factory = not much to do in the evening = learning a lot of new words each day. Then been back in Seoul the last 4 days which had a lot more activities to do :smiley:. But now I have 3 days of quarantine where I can clear out these words.

Generally - I know that in the intro pages @Hack-Chinese-Daniel you used to recommend no more than 10 mins a day. I would say that this 10 mins applies to learning new words only. I took this quite literally when I first started and got stressed out that it took foreverrrr to get rid of all my reviews. But in reality, doing 30 mins a day to clear out previously learnt words is often more efficient and I don’t think this impacts on my learning abilities.

And final point - earlier this year I also stopped using the audio option. Waiting for the sound slowed down my reviews pretty significantly, and a lot of the time I now review in a taxi/bus/getting coffee where I might not have headphones. It’s not ideal but I think I get enough exposure to sounds of the characters in general life so I can accept not having audio.

5 Likes

Woah, that’s impressive! Knocking on the door of 7,000 words. I got to 5,000 and accepted that’s as far as I’d go :rofl:

I used to stress a bit more about clearing that review number down to 0, now I’m quite content to just keep reviewing these words. After a solid 3 months off I was worried I’d forget everything but in fairness, bar a few slips, most have stuck quite well.

I also went to a BBQ at the weekend with a good number of Chinese speakers there giving my a chance to actually speak Mandarin again. Managed to navigate that quite well also. Always reassuring that after a significant amount of time, it’s still there in your head, somewhere!

5 Likes

My graph is nowhere near you guys, but I’m glad to hear about the possibility of cutting down on the number of reviews. Most days I have to put in at least 20 minutes, and currently will have to spend at least an hour to bring down my current 300+. The last few weeks have been really busy, with travelling and preparing for exams, so I haven’t caught up enough. I changed the pattern to just two right arrows per word (correct or not?), and if I’m trying to push through reviews then I don’t listen to the example sentence. That speeds things up a lot.

3 Likes

So far I’ve been consistent on reviewing vocabulary each day. Time review vary between 10 and 30 minutes a day and can change if I rush a lot of new words or miss a day of review.

It’s true that I was stressed to review all the vocabulary at first, but then I slowed down my number of new words/day and I finally succeed in stabilizing the graph to something that I can follow. I definitely recommend to go slowly and bet on the long run.

Don’t know why, but I still canot use the application on sessions longer than 3 minutes on my phone or the application will crash.

3 Likes

I have so many new words to add that I can’t slow them down. I’ve added to my list of new words all the chapters of the “New Chinese Practical Reader” textbooks 2 and 3 for my university unit this trimester, and want to be ahead so I am familiar with the words before I come to the chapter they appear in. Then I’ve added all the HSK (old and new) levels as well.

As much as I found it annoying in the first six months, I’d really like daily reminder emails like Duolingo’s Green Owl sends. E.g. “Duolingo is really sad! He misses you!” or “Studies show the Ebbinghaus Forgetfulness Curve needs study sessions every six hours” or something like that. Is it possible to get a HackChinese mascot to work on my emotions? Maybe a lumberjack or a macrophage or something. :joy:

3 Likes

The Duolingo owl is my reminder for both, Duolingo and hackchinese. :wink:

3 Likes