Hack Chinese Review

I agree, the HSK Standard Course font harder to read than other textbook fonts or the Hack Chinese font. It would be great if we could chose from a few fonts in the settings.

Also still waiting for more control of individual words from their tiles(like setting them to learn as new)

2 Likes

Fantastic, thumbs up, great!:

" Dec 17, 2021

Vocabulary lists for all 2,000+ Du Chinese lessons

The best way to increase your retention rate of words in Hack Chinese (and in real life) is to read real Chinese content with the words you are learning.

Which is why we’ve partnered with Du Chinese to bring you vocabulary from their entire catalog of 2,000+ lessons (updated automatically as Du Chinese publishes new lessons)."

5 Likes

Just entered my first notes - this is really a great feature and was one of my early wishes. I will use it for German translations, references to other vocabulary, an example sentence from the lesson, radicals, …many possibilities. :+1: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Finding hack Chinese to be a bit buggy recently using my iPhone. All fine on my laptop (Mac). Not sure why - I have just been trying to launch a new study session on my phone and just keep getting a blank screen.

@Hack-Chinese-Daniel FYI!

1 Like

Yea I’ve had the same for a few months now. I avoid the phone for Hack nowadays.

I think Daniel sent out an email to the Hack list that he’s working on this from memory. Something about Javascript working beyond it’s capabilities (way above my head)!

2 Likes

@Chloe-Mandarin-HSK_5 and @Max ,

Short Answer: Try using Firefox.

Long Answer: There are several reasons why mobile study sessions have gotten slow or buggy in the last year. Without going into all the details, we’ve decided that, after spending way too many hours putting bandaids onto our study session code (written with a 16-year-old Javascript library called jQuery), we will now put all our effort into re-writing this important piece of code from scratch using a modern Javascript library called ReactJS (developed and maintained by Facebook).

Migrating to ReactJS will bring many benefits, a core one being a silky smooth user interface. When this is complete, we expect the list of “annoyances” now seen in mobile sessions to be eliminated.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but because Firefox has (so far!) worked for everyone we’ve suggested it to, we think our time is better spent building the future version.

3 Likes

I don’t have problems with my mobile study sessions, maybe you notice slowness etc only with a big vocabulary size?
@Hack-Chinese-Daniel - an idea for the future, well, maybe it is technically not possible. I would like to use the sentences more. Many are already useful at my level, but often it is too much input if there is even more new vocabulary and unknown grammar.
I think it would be great if you could choose (click) your one sentence, maybe even from your own notes, to listen in a study session, or indirectly mute it by not choosing any sentence.
So far I only use the sentences when I use hc as a dictionary and when I actively look for example sentences.
Maybe some selected lists for the lower 3 HSK levels could go with really basic sentences. My German HSK books (by Hefei Huang) have these sentences, and I love it.

1 Like

I have been trying it out but have similar problems with Firefox, but no worries, happy to wait for the new version to be built. I usually try to use my laptop more often anyway!

I have been thinking about Sonja’s suggestion here and I think it would be really awesome to have a mode where you just listen to new sentences using your target words - so rather than flashcards with yes/no review, it’s just a listening session for 5 / however many mins exposing yourself to the new vocab. I think it’d be a really interesting thing to do. Sometimes I don’t feel like flashcards but would love to revise my words.

It’s not quite the purpose of Hack but thought something for the future, perhaps!

3 Likes

I echo this. Smart idea. I’ve mentioned before but after 2 years, flashcards can get monotonous.

I have a new strategy now actually which involves pausing a study session when I find a new sentence example I like. I write the sentence on a post-it and stick it in the kitchen. I’ve found this a superb way to drill home the words I kept forgetting.

Two examples 步骤 (最后一个步骤是最重要的)and 弊端 (这个软件有一个弊端)

These words are nailed firmly into my head thanks to these post-it’s.

I would highly recommend it. It does extend your study sessions but I am selective with sentences and I’ve found it’s helped motivate me again.

Also found taking a few days off here and there helps massively. It’s easy to get caught up on “streaks” but I actually like to break them every so often and reset a little.

4 Likes

Btw @Hack-Chinese-Daniel I really like the “add notes” feature. It really helps for words that are repurposed as slang/ sometimes things have different meanings in Taiwan / etc. I don’t use it often but it’s so useful when I need it!

Also @Max I think I am allergic to learning from post-its, I have written out post-its so many times, but my brain just ignores them and doesn’t see them after a day or two :smile_cat:

3 Likes

To @Chloe-Mandarin-HSK_5 and anyone who was having interface responsiveness issues/slowness in mobile sessions, can you please try again. We made another change that should improve interface responsiveness, but looking for confirmation that our change worked. Thanks!

1 Like

Hit the 4K word mark today!Screen Shot2

7 Likes

hey, Google chrome still doesn’t work, Firefox is similar to before, still a little slow to load. I had a weird thing happen the other day but other than that it’s working fine, just a bit slow!

1 Like

@Hack-Chinese-Daniel - is there still a teacher mode where a teacher can add to someone’s list? I remember this being there when I first signed up but I never use it, but I’d like to start using it now (if it still exists!)

1 Like

It does not exist any more, but (I feel like I say this too often…) it’s on the list to bring back… Right now we are focusing on pushing out the Du Chinese integration in the next week or so, and after that… a big focus on performance improvements on mobile (with ReactJS). When we had teacher tools 3 years ago, Hack Chinese was too unknown to be trusted by many teachers, and it largely went unused. Since then, we’ve had a slow (but steady) increase in requests to bring it back – so the timing may be right this time around!

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply! No worries. Integration with Du Chinese sounds cool… look forward to that!

2 Likes

Hi All,
I need 1-2 volunteers to help me test something TODAY. You must be a Du Chinese and a Hack Chinese user. Let me know if you can help! DM me or leave a message here. Thanks! Daniel

1 Like

I have no Du subscription at the moment. But I could connect Du with hc. This is really fantastic to find the Du sentences in hc as well.

2 Likes

Wow this is awesome. This is going to make me use Du so much more!

3 Likes