Do you think you'd be more "confident" talking to an AI, instead of a local person?

It seems like, sooner or later, we will use AI for practicing language learning. So my question is, would you feel more confident speaking to an AI, instead of a local person?

Sometimes, especially when I started learning mandarin, I felt very overwhelmed talking to locals because I was afraid to make mistakes.

Maybe AI could help beginners earning confidence in their speaking skills because they wouldn’t feel “the pressure” of judgement.

On the other hand, I think that making some real local friends is always the best choice.

It will be interesting to see how AI will be integrated in the language learning process, I’m very curious to see how things will change!

1 Like

I would love to practise with an AI. At any time of the day, to mention one big advantage. I mean we all do so already. I love using apps, speak to Google or Pleco and so on. My long-term private Chinese teacher runs a homepage where AI is automatically producing exercises after each recorded lesson.
Things are changing now extremely quickly again. It feels like the third wave of technology to me. When I was seven we got our first TV with two! channels and our first phone, attached to the wall. Last weekend an update told me that one of my music apps now is able to recognize any even bad scan of a sheet of music and play the full score perfectly and I can use the scan in any notation program and arrange it and work with it. That saves time enormously.

Recently I got a new friend who is Chinese. With her I feel really confident to practise. Her German is about my Chinese level, her interests are similar, she has the same free time gaps as I do. But still I would love to practise talking with an AI as well. The more boring parts, repeat the same again and again, always maybe only slightly different, is nicer with a machine.
Well, I am fond of apps and robots. (in addition to real life :crazy_face::robot: :sunglasses:)

As an AI hater, I’d rather not :sweat_smile: I learn languages to speak with real people, not computers, and overcoming confidence issues when talking to native speakers is part of the process.

2 Likes

When I started learning Chinese apps such as Duolingo didn’t event exist and living in the countryside, speaking opportunities are almost non existent. So when yeaaars later I found out that the Lingodeer app (amongst others) launched speaking exercises with a speech recognition feature, I found it so helpful and indeed helped me gain confidence in my speaking!

HOWEVER, I didn’t get the instant feedback I needed to understand what I was saying incorrectly, how to improve and how I should say things to sound more natural.

I’d be curious to see how AI will help with this instant feedback. It is one thing to speak and get a ready-made answer, it is another to be able to adjust one’s pronunciation, get corrected and repeat a sentence/word when needed.

This is so true, well said. That is why I love to learn languages, I simply love this challenge, to solve the puzzle when I am confronted with another culture, personality, language usage.
You hate AI? There is a lot one can hate about AI, but even then my nature is to be curious and “learn to know the enemy”. :rofl: :rofl:

I really do agree with you here Sandra. It’s all about that feeling of emotion and satisfaction.

There are fewer greater kicks than conversing with someone in their native language (even more of a surprise when it’s someone English like me - who are typically awful at learning languages).

I’m interested to hear why you hate AI though :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Exactly, I feel like AI could be used on top of speaking with native friends!

Talking to real people is priceless (and I think I understood that especially during the pandemic), but I also feel that AI could have great potential if responsibly used.

That’s sounds pretty cool and I never actually considered using AI for language learning.
As a dinosaur in training, I might prefer the classical methods more, but as an add-on to a lively conversation with a teacher or friends, it sounds quite helpful. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m a software developer :wink: The technology itself is fascinating, but I hate its lack of ethics re: copyright and negative impact on jobs (artists, writers, photographers and voice actors are already heavily affected) so I avoid using it whenever possible.

3 Likes

Totally agree :rofl: :rofl: :see_no_evil:

If you’re not on discord, i posted there yesterday about testing a new app, Langotalk.org that front ends GPT4 for language AI. It still has a ways to go, but VERY interesting. In the end, it’s just a tool to augment real learning with a human. I think over the next 6mo we will see every major language app add “talk with AI tutor” etc…

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing Jordan, very interesting!

1 Like