Chinese Superstitions - what to NEVER give as a gift in China

2 Likes

Who knows why those nine should not be given as gifts? :grinning:

Why pears of all things!

1 Like

I’m guessing that the ties and belts are because these are items that could go round the neck and potentially strangle someone?

1 Like

It sounds like 离 which means to “part” or separate! Thus the implication being that you and the person who you gave the pear to will part ways. I just learned this in class this morning haha.

2 Likes

Ties, belts and necklaces shouldn’t be given as gifts because they are seen as personal, intimate presents that should only be given between couples :slightly_smiling_face:
I actually am the one who created this graphic and if you want to learn any more you can check out my full blog on Chinese superstitions here: Chinese Superstitions // Some Of These Will Genuinely Shock You

3 Likes

Yes Marco you’re right! Quite a lot of Chinese superstitions involve homonyms, such as the unlucky number 4 sì (四) sounds like the word for death: sǐ (死).

1 Like

Thank for the explanation. And I learned a new word too: Homonym :smiley:

Great graphic by the way. Just shared another one of your graphics about going to the airport… because I hope we all will again soon

Is the reason behind most of these gifts due to homonyms?
Although I think mirrors probably have something to do with catching evil because there are various superstitions regarding mirrors across different cultures :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a question for @Katie :smiley:

Hi Yasmin, yes quite a few of the reasons behind these gifts being bad luck are because they are homonyms. This applies to pears, shoes, umbrellas and clocks. Yes, you’re right mirrors are considered bad luck because they are thought to attract evil spirits. If you’re interested you can see my blog for more detailed information about why these objects shouldn’t be given with gifts: Chinese Superstitions // Some Of These Will Genuinely Shock You. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

16 years in China and I had no idea about the mirror thing - I guess I just never thought of buying one for someone. Lucky me!
Great blog post Katie - I always learn something new from reading your blogs and infographics