Anyone used ChatGPT for language learning?

With ChatGPT all the rage these days I wondered if anyone has been using it’s skills to exploit some useful methods for language learning.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts.

2 Likes

I’ve tried ChatGPT once to get more sentence examples with a specific word or grammar structure, it worked!

2 Likes

Nice! I found for some things it works really well but when I tried searching jokes in Russian and Chinese it came up short (according to natives!)

Still some way to go but definitely going in the right direction.

Be interesting to see how it changes language learning in years to come.

1 Like

I love to use ChatGPT for learning languages.
It is important how you ask, and I often need to make my question preciser before I get the best answer. It is perfect to get a short story. I tell what it should include and the first version is too long and has difficult words, the second is too short, more or less only the translation of my told facts, the third is the best then.
It is only a machine, so one can endlessly ask for changes. :wink: One has to get used to that fact, haha.
ChatGPT can explain well grammar or find a mistake in a translation. I often use it to give me example sentences for new words or grammar. Then I say something like, make a short sentence, make an easy sentence, or use it together with the following situation,…
Sometimes it makes terrible mistakes, is only guessing. One example: It knows radicals, but you can’t ask for more details in a single character. But things like which words use this radical, is a super question. You get a perfect list with pinyin and translation, which you can quickly copy and paste and use.
And if you are not content try and ask for more…

1 Like

I tried to ask for a joke in German. The first one sounded humble, and more like a translation of something that might sound okay in English. Then I asked for a more intelligent joke in German, and that one I really like.
Also it makes a difference if ChatGPT is inventing a new joke, what it probably does at first, or you ask for a well-known intelligent joke in a language. This third answer I got was a really good list of jokes. :wink:
So to get the really good answers often needs a row of questions.