曹操 (and my new favourite Chinese phrase)

Has anyone heard of 曹操 (Cáo Cāo).

I learnt about 曹操 because his name is linked with my new favourite Chinese phrase.

In English we often use… “talk of the devil” when someone arrives into a room who you were just talking about.

I discovered in Chinese the same phrases is used and it’s a great one to learn because it’s SUPER easy to remember and it rolls off the tongue beautifully.

Bonus points for anyone who knows who 曹操 is :wink:

3 Likes

I LOVE this phrase!! Super easy to remember but also makes you sound really fancy and cultured :wink:

I’d never actually heard of 曹操 until I googled ‘speak of the devil in Chinese’ and then fell down an internet rabbit hole of Chinese history. But that was last year and I’ve already forgotten what he actually did :eyes: :laughing: back to Google it is…

1 Like

As I was doing some research about 曹操 I thought there must be a movie or two about this person and YES, there’s so many!

The fact the name is frequently used in popular culture and even the language is very interesting

1 Like

I use the phrase quite often, but I actually do not know what Cao Cao means or where it comes from. Any hints?

Funny that we use stuff and don’t know the meaning behind it. Happens more than we think.

No hints from me :wink: Google has your back :sweat_smile:

Okay I’m back after FINALLY finding out who 曹操 / Cao Cao was and what he did. But here’s a video explanation to make it more interesting :wink:

Also my favourite comment - ‘Cao Cao was so nice they named him twice’ (inaccurate with the characters - BUT STILL :laughing: )

1 Like

Superb :sweat_smile: :rofl:

1 Like

This came up in my lesson today: 我用牙刷刷牙。(Wo yong ya shua shua ya. = I use a toothbrush to brush (my) teeth.)

1 Like

Love that! For some reason they’re easier to remember like this. Must be the repetition.

我用牙刷刷牙 is so satisfying to say out loud :laughing:

Although saying that, reversible characters can be stressful at times, I STILL get confused about bee/honey (蜜蜂 mìfēng/蜂蜜 fēngmì)literally the only way I can remember is to think of how I order honey oat bread at subway :rofl: (蜂蜜燕麦面包)

2 Likes

This one is soooo difficult to remember for me too!

Others I’m confused with are 科学 kēxué science / 学科 xuékē subject and 现实 xiànshí reality / 实现 shíxiàn to realise

1 Like

I have recently learned what is now one of my favourite Chinese phrases:
善有善报,恶有恶报!
(shàn yǒu shàn bào, è yǒu è bào ==> What goes around comes around)

Courtesy 杨幂 as 白浅 in 三生三世十里桃花 :)