A new HSK 4+ Level?

We are starting work on a new HSK 4+ level and welcome feedback from students. The structure is not set in stone yet so changes are still possible.

HSK 4+ is a very high level which is between HSK 4 and 5 and will include difficult concepts from HSK 4 and the easier ones from 5.

The structure for a chapter we are looking at is

1. Topic with grammar and vocab
  2. Topic with grammar and vocab
  3. Topic with grammar and vocab
  4. Free Speaking Topic - two cultural news items taken from a WeChat account to be discussed
  5. Review 1-3
  6. Topic with grammar and vocab
  7. Topic with grammar and vocab
  8. Topic with grammar and vocab
  9. Advanced Reading: Read a current news article from a WeChat account together
  10. Review 6-8

What do you guys think? We are checking right now which WeChat account would be good to use but are very open for suggestions too.

The aim is to be fully online on the 1st of September latest.

4 Likes

You guys are amazing with all your work on flexi courses! I am years away from HSK 4+ but the structure seems good to me, especially news reading/speaking. If it were up to me, I’d also be interested in cultural/historical and just random interesting stories and facts to read and discuss. Hope to get to HSK 4 one day myself!

1 Like

Awesome to hear! If I continue with my current rate I would hope that I am finished with the HSK4 lessons by September time, although HSK 4+ still sounds quite intimidating at this point… haha.

When you say : “two cultural news items taken from a WeChat account to be discussed”
I don’t use WeChat so I don’t know what that would look like, could you give some examples?

The general format sounds really good though. I tried to do something similar with my bf recently, we would read some Yahoo新聞 articles together and I would read the summary while he read the article, then try and talk about the summary together. Even just interpreting news headlines I find a complex task in itself though… :sweat_smile: :joy:

2 Likes

This is really exciting to hear! I’m somewhere around the HSK 4+ Level (somewhat permanently haha), and this structure sounds like it would be really useful for me. I especially like the idea of integrating news articles into the class. I don’t have experience using WeChat for that, so I can’t really speak to it (I usually just search for random articles on the Internet). That being said, I do use WeChat somewhat regularly, so the format would work for me. Also, if there were ways to connect current events/authentic resources to the lesson material as a supplement to the vocab/grammar (to review in the future), that could be helpful too!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the feedback. It does not have to be WeChat, it could be any other current event source (culture, life etc/ - no politics).
Do you have a website or the like you find useful? We can try to integrate that.
And dont worry, HSK 4/5 is a time where it is easy to feel like you are on a “learning plateau” because improvements cannot be “felt” as strongly as for lower levels, where everything you learn immediately has a use and improves comprehension visibly.
That does not mean you are not progressing, it just doesnt feel like it as much. Keep studying and you will definitely get there. HSK 5 is planned after HSK 4+, I will see you there then :leo_smiles:

1 Like

Also looking forward to HSK 4+

Been flicking between HSK 3 and 4 just to keep refreshed!

For HSK4+ it would be really good to have one about using common apps - e.g. facebook/instagram in Chinese, including common words (e.g. comment, follow, like, etc). I switched before but then I was put off because I didn’t really feel like it helped me learn Chinese, since I didn’t really know what each thing was and was just doing things automatically

1 Like

Some basic ones are already in HSK1 :slight_smile:

chapter 2. Lesson 26 Do You Use Wechat?
chapter 3 Lesson 31 Do You Use Facebook?

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea, and like Sonja said there are some basic courses in HSK1. Maybe the HSK4+ courses could include the Chinese social media apps? I’ve been trying to use Weibo, Xiaohongshu, Douban, etc but I’m kind of lost haha. Even WeChat I’m still not super comfortable with.

2 Likes

I think that a HSK4+ level would be great. Would this level still be offered as group classes? But for those of us that don’t have WeChat, would we still be able to participate?

2 Likes

Yes it will be group classes for HSK 4+.
We plan to have it online next month.

I do tbfully understand the question regarding WeChat though. We Chat is not needed for any Flexi Classes. All classes are taught via Zoom

1 Like

Just checking in to see if there are any updates regarding HSK4+. :grimacing: Very eager to sign up as soon as it’s launched!

4 Likes

HSK 4+ is on good progress now. We’re excited to launch it too. . in this level, pinyin is removed. I can tell that you really fit HSK 4+

6 Likes

I have taken a few HSK4+ speaking test classes already and I’m very excited about them. HSK4+ classes going to be a bit challenging since we’ll be using real world material but no worries, the teachers are specifically trained to be excellent tour guides. It’s going to be a lot of fun! I can’t wait for the launch!

4 Likes

Likewise, really looking forward to the HSK4+ after taking a few of the speaking trial lessons :slight_smile:

If they come out mid-/end of September then I’ll also have two weeks of government quarantine back in Taiwan to look forward to and fill my time with!

1 Like

The HSK 4+ level is planned to start on the 6th of September, so that should work out

2 Likes

Looking forward to these. Be a good indicator of where I am at!

2 Likes