A Grammar Structure You Always Avoid?

I wanted to create a thread to see if there is either a grammar structure or sentence pattern you know about, but never use when speaking - simply due to fear of getting it wrong!

Whilst I am not one to hold back, and just speak whether right or wrong, I’ve always feared using 为了or even just 为 for some weird reason.

I genuinely cannot explain why this is the case given the fact it’s quite a basic structure. When reading it, I understand what’s going on but when it comes to spoken Mandarin I’ve never really managed to slip it into conversation and tried to find another way of constructing my sentence.

Do other people get this when speaking?

I am guessing the 把 structure might also be a popular response but I just wanted to share this and maybe we can help each other try and alleviate our grammar fears together by providing example sentences they use.

Answers can apply to all languages by the way.

1 Like

The 把 structure definitely!

Another one would be the structure 虽然⋯⋯ 但是⋯⋯ (suīrán… dànshì…).
It’s a useful one but I always end up confusing the order of the words, or even forget the second part of the structure!

2 Likes

Good share that one.

We should use this thread to give example sentences and help each other try and incorporate them into our day to day conversations.

All suggestions welcome.

Sorry, but I think my list would be too long to enumerate! I’m slow enough putting together sentences when attempting to talk about stuff that I haven’t learnt the words for. Then my brain puts all non-English words in the same part of my memory, which aren’t recalled often. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But I agree with the suggestion, Max.

如果。。。的话,就
快要 or 就要 etc.
并且
但是。。。而且
为了
除了
directional complement
resultative complement
complement of quantity
etc.

1 Like

Ah yes this is another good choice I almost never use in spoken Chinese.

Funny how some just stick and others tend to fall by the wayside.

2 Likes

I don’t consciously avoid it but I can’t remember ever using 為了 either… haha

I just used it 4 times in my morning class to try and introduce it again :joy:

I think as time goes on you get used to certain grammar- eg I remember hating 就/吧 but now I use them all the time

1 Like

I need to do this. Force the usage and make it second nature. It’s how I cracked the 把 structure.

Nice work Chloe

1 Like

Since this thread has focused on Mandarin, maybe it could be a practice thread.

正在很太晚了,所以我一定应该去睡觉,但是我会试一试用一些难的语法点。比如:
为了第一个语法点,这个句子应该是满意的。
我把第二个分享这个。
虽然我中国语法懂得不怎么样,但是这三个句子是不太错了。
我对中国茶感兴趣,所以我真的想参加一个茶聚会。
如果我是熬夜猫头鹰的话,就在十一点钟我不应该太累了!
够了!

You were busy, wow. And witty. :wink:

I dare to correct a little thing in your last sentence. I am quite sure you can’t use 如果 here, it is not a condition but a reason or statement. So I would use 因为。。,所以。。。
There is also a 既然 我。。 as I am. … But I don’t know the grammar of that really.

Man, lots.

不仅。。。也 not because i’ts difficult, just never use it. I also don’t say “not only…but” in English

尽管 because I always fall back on 虽然

其中 just never know where to put it

I confuse 千万(别) / 万一 / 成千上万

却 just never get it in there

I also never use 为了。。。

I tell you what has helped me on these looking back now.

Reading our Grammar Bank. I pick a structure and memorise the most basic sentence.

I tried this with 被 and I finally get it now! I just forced it upon myself and kept repeating that same sentence. I now just replace the noun(s) and keep the structure.

I also did the same for 不得不 - although it’s not a grammar structure as such, it was something I heard natives use a lot so I wanted to join the party.

Memorise a basic sentence, write it, say it and repeat it - this is the way :heart_eyes:

LINK IF YOU WISH || https://flexiclasses.com/chinese-grammar-bank/

1 Like