4 Ways to Say Hello in Korean πŸ‘‹

Do you know how to say hello in Korean?

You’ve probably heard of μ•ˆλ…• [annyeong] already, whether with your Korean friends or by watching a K-dramas, but did you know you cannot say it to someone older than you, or even worse, your boss?!

Korean is an intricate language with different levels of formal speech, so the type of β€œhello” you use differs based on who you’re speaking to:

μ•ˆλ…• [annyeong] – Informal Hello
μ•ˆλ…•ν•˜μ„Έμš” [annyeonghaseyo] – Formal Hello
μ•ˆλ…•ν•˜μ‹­λ‹ˆκΉŒ [annyeonghasimnikka] – Very Formal Hello
μ—¬λ³΄μ„Έμš” [yeoboseyo] – Saying Hello on the Phone

Let’s say you want to say hello in Korean to a colleague that is younger than you, do you know what to say?

PS - We explain all the differences between the multiple ways to say hello - How to Say Hello in Korean // It’s Not As Simple As It Sounds - Flexi Classes Korean

1 Like

Super helpful, thank you!! I wonder where the Korean hello for answering the phone comes from, it’s so different to the others

I also need to learn about when to use the more formal versions in Korean, in the UK you can be pretty casual with most people (even at work) but I think this is the opposite in Korea - at least, according to my Netflix K Shows :joy:

1 Like

Goodbye is super similar to Hello in Korean also.

This makes it easy to get started. The only confusing bit is there are two that sound very similar, and the meanings are likewise.

μ•ˆλ…•νžˆ κ°€μ„Έμš” (annyeonghi gaseyo). This means goodbye and is used when you are staying, but the other person is leaving.

However, when you are leaving…

μ•ˆλ…•νžˆ κ³„μ„Έμš” (annyeonghi gyeseyo).

Very subtle difference :upside_down_face:

However, I learnt a new one on my trip to Seoul which is…

잘 κ°€μš” (jal gayo) - it means go well and reminds me of ζ…’θ΅° in Chinese which is used very commonly in Mainland China. It can only be used when someone else is going, not you though.

I like to use this one :smiley:

3 Likes