Which Questions about Flexi do you (or did you) have?

Thank you! The scheduling is a challenge of course. One issue is that we currently have so many lessons for very few students, so almost all the group classes have only one student in them. So we need to get a few more higher level students into Flexi so that at least sometimes we get two students in a group :slight_smile:

I mix Flexi group classes with Flexi 1:1 classes and am wondering when the right time is to step up to the next HSK level of group classes is vs repeating previous classes and taking 1:1 classes. I agree with @Andreas-Mandarin-HSK_6 's comment that it’s possible to progress quickly with Flexi classes, but I want to make sure that it’s in my long term memory, not my short term memory. This month, for example, I’m only planning HS2 classes with more emphasis on Flexi 1:1s. But there will come a time when I should try HS3. :thinking: Maybe with a glass of wine in my hand to improve my fluidity! :laughing:

3 Likes

yes, that is always a question and it of course depends on you. First, I wouldnt worry so much about it though. The easiest way to do is to just try it out. Go for a chapter 1 HSK 3 class and see how it goes. If you find it too hard, go back to HSK 2 and do some revisions again and then give it a try again.
A good way to tackle a challenging class is to go through the pdf in advance. That way you will already be familiar with the things that will come up and that will make the class much easier.
Also, the step from HSK 2 highest chapter to HSK 3 lowest chapter is not that big. Don’t be too worried about it.

As a final point (Flexi Classes unrelated), when learning Mandarin to be sometimes over challenged, frustrated and feeling “this is too much” is and should be part of studying Mandarin. It is important to get out of your comfort zone into an area where you struggle and things are too hard. Stay focused, try to understand and say what you can. Take note of what you struggled with and work on it after class. Prepare, learn and the next week give the class a go again.
If you always feel comfortable in class, you are not being challenged enough. Go and get a bit frustrated and upset - it is a big stept towards fluency.
And dont worry…we have all been there. I am an HSK examiner and speak Mandarin all day at work today. When I was studying in Beijing back then, I was ready to fly home at least once a month because “I simply am not able to learn Mandarin” and “Nobody understands a word I say. These Chinese dont want to understand me!”.
It will get better

4 Likes