What's your 2024 language goal?

No, not disciplined, just ADHD. :sweat_smile: And, it’s summer, so there isn’t a specific schedule. I’ve been to one summer camp with my daughter already, and between preparing for another camp, another two weeks outside of the state, preparing for school to start, and cleaning the house, I just do what I can when I can.

Spanish is a part of daily life because we live in a bilingual household. I might spend less than 10 minutes a day on Duo to practice grammar and read a story.

Chinese is on in the background when I’m doing things, but because I haven’t practiced characters consistently, I’ve forgotten many of the ones I learned. I only knew less than 200 anyway. I watch cdramas in the evening when my husband is watching his shows (in Spanish). I practice characters on Skritter, but not daily like I used to. Yoyo Chinese and Mandarin Blueprint are programs I use to learn. I also like the Flexi classes. How much time I spend on it depends on how I feel that day and how much time I have.

German is also daily, but it’s just on Duo right now because my textbooks are packed. It might be 10 minutes, or it might be an hour. Yesterday while waiting for my car to get checked, I spent about 35 minutes practicing.

Everything else, I just do when I feel like it or I have time. They are not priorities. I like how languages sound, and my goal isn’t to fluency for all the languages. I want writing fluency in Spanish (I’m already fluent verbally), and conversational fluency in Chinese and German, and be able to read both. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

1 Like

My update: I spent a month in Taiwan and survived!

5 Likes

Well done!! How was your experience there? I hope you loved it as much as I do :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Plot twist: I’m studying Spanish now :laughing:

Since this last post I move to Taipei. Living there I have the chance to hear Mandarin spoken all around me and grasp each and every occasion to speak, for example with my neighbours or taxi drivers (my favourite ppl to practice!!).

So, even though I haven’t started learning Mandarin seriously, I am comfortable again in speaking the language, try to hold conversation and making mistakes! Slow progress is still progress

1 Like

Ermmmm what!? :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Brilliant Sandra. Would love to hear how you found it.

The accent, the language, the vocab, the conversations etc :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I’m quite there yet, but I feel much more comfortable on the listening part for sure! Still need a lot of practice but, as @Marine said, slow progress is still progress!

Fantastic! Where did you go? :heart_eyes:

Coming back to this comment that I made earlier, I can definitely say that 2 hours a week, having a dedicated tutor definitely has helped me a lot.

I am in Czech right now as we speak and just blurting those half baked sentences out there is already giving me compliments that how I can help others understand what I am trying to say. (I am sure they are laughing a lot in between but that’s the fun of learning a new language)

Excited to see what we all notice on this journey in the next 6 months :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Marine @Max @Ottavia-Mandarin_Simplified_HS I loved it a lot! Spent a whole month there and went to many places - Taipei, Tainan, Sun Moon Lake, Zhang Mei Ama’s farm with capybaras, Houtong cat village, Shifen, Yehliu… At first I was quite nervous about speaking Mandarin, but soon I realized I could manage to have conversations - people actually understood me! They were super nice and excited about it too :laughing: I found the accent pretty easy to understand, a lot easier than some others I’ve heard.
Also, big thumbs up for all the cheap food!

1 Like