Paying for things in China using Alipay/Wechat

We;re getting there aren’t we!

The visa news really caught me off guard. I see more coming too…

Yes, I read that’s a first trial, and they’re waiting to see how it goes before including more countries on the visa-free list, which is really cool!

Meanwhile, Wise .com my bank has confirmed that although I could link my Wise visa card to my WeChat wallet, I won’t be able to use the wallet to buy stuff in China… only make transfer to Chinese citizen with Chinese bank account.

My brain can’t cope… it’s the kind of stuff I find very hard to understand… but… I think it means, I can’t transfer Renminbi to myself into my WeChat wallet because I’m not a Chinese citizen with a Chinese bank account, even though I have Renminbi in my Wise account…

Aaaayooo my head… So, we’re back to square one.

So how did you manage in China, Max? What UK bank card did you link to your WeChat wallet? And could you pay for stuff like a taxi ride, food on a stall etc. with WeChat?
And would the money come straight out of your UK bank account?
Or could you transfer Renminbi to your wallet in advance of your trip?

(I’d rather learn 100 measure words… it would be easier than dealing with this aaaargh)

I actually have a Chinese Bank account having lived their before Pascale.

I have linked my Visa Credt Card to Wechat though. I tested it at 7/11 and Walmart and it worked both times. Do you have something similar?

By the way I’d also be happy to transfer you some RMB on Wechat in exchange for EUR or GBP. You can add my Wechat and we can discuss there (my username is maxihobbs) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aaaah just to correct my previous messages…

Wise .com wrote to me again saying they got it wrong in their communication with me: I should be able to use my WeChat Wallet in China to buy stuff like anybody else!

The proof will be in the pudding. Cross fingers that when I get there, it works, or I’ll just have to go through the obstacle course of opening an account in a Chinese bank.

1 Like

That’s it, get there and you’ll soon find out. Often the problem is it’s never quite the same for two people!

Got my fingers crossed, but I’m sure it’ll be just fine :slight_smile:

I managed to pay for a meal using my Wechat… in the UK recently! The vendor was Chinese and I saw the QR code, I asked in Mandarin if I could try and use my WeChat.

I expected nothing… but to my surprise it worked :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting! I also once got discount codes at Bicester Village (designer outlet shopping village) in the UK by showing my WeChat account. They seemed confused that I was eligible, but still worked :rofl:

Nice shout! Might try myself. I go there once a year normally.

Funnily enough when you arrive, the train tannoy speaking in English and then Chinese! Same is true for Oxford.