Hack Chinese Review

Added to our import list!

2 Likes

@Hack-Chinese-Daniel : The interactive information about the new HSK on hackchinese is great. Well done!

1 Like

Hi @Hack-Chinese-Daniel, one little thing:
when I “Add to list” on my laptop, (MS Edge) the button doesn’t work when I click on the right end of the button, directly on the little arrow. I still tend to click there first. It does work on my iPhone.

2 Likes

@Hack-Chinese-Daniel - when I “block” a word on my review it doesn’t seem to be permanently blocked until I end the session. I end up having to keep blocking a word, and then just give up and end the session and start a new one to make the block permanent. Not sure if this is an intentional feature? I can’t see the use of it if so.

3 Likes

And one “nice to have” idea - of course there is the total words learnt, but it would be interesting to see how many individual characters I know as part of those words :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Chloe-Mandarin-HSK_5 This reminds me to go on with a very useful habit: I try to add the parts of my new words as well and try to learn all single characters as well. Already as an LTL-HSK2-level student I start to benefit from this habit.
Today I learned 推特, Twitter, and I am very happy to know 特 already, and 推 as well from 推荐,to recommend, so Twitter is for me the special pushing of messages. Infact, in my lesson today, I discover old character friends everywhere. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@Hack-Chinese-Daniel Another one that could be useful (or maybe there is a way of doing it and I don’t know?) is to sort the words you are learning by shortest recall interval. I’d like to finish a session, then go to look up some of the words I know are more recent / discuss them with my teacher so that they solidify into my brain, but at the moment it seems you can only scroll backwards in the list.

2 Likes

Any luck on this one yet?

2 Likes

I tried a new list but decided not to do it now and deleted the list from my queue.
As I did also a lot of other new stuff the few new words from the not wanted list were hidden somewhere in between. They appeared with the next “study”. When I wanted to block them then instantaneously it didn’t work for that ongoing study session. I had to start a new session. To get all of them blocked I could only restart a few times until I got them all. Otherwise all of them repeat at the end of my study session and force me to study them and answer them right. :wink:
Any suggestion how to do that next time?

1 Like

General question for Hack Chinese, what are the intervals for remembering characters? For mine, it seems to go 6hours, 1 day, 3 days, 5 days, 7 days, […] 100s of days. Is that roughly what other people see?

1 Like

Awesome question! In the beginning, it’s set 6 hours, 1 day, 3 days, and 5 days (as you’ve seen).

After this intro sequence, your new interval is 140% the time that elapsed since your last review (regardless of what the interval was set to).

For example, if your interval was 10 days, and you reviewed right on the 10th day, your new interval would be 10 * 140% = 14 days, as expected.

If your interval was 10 days, but you went on vacation and didn’t review for 20 days, yet you could still remember the word, we wouldn’t “punish” you by giving you an interval of 14 (which is less than the 20) but instead give you a new interval of 140% * 20 = 28 days.

3 Likes

This is a known bug, that’s been fixed already and will be published in the next big update (hopefully before July!)

4 Likes

Hi @Feng2.Zhe2-HSK_4_plus , we have found intermediate written and intermediate spoken. (See images, are these the ones you need)? We couldn’t find the Basic books. If you have them, are you able to take pictures of the vocabulary pages and send to me (via email)? We can then get this series online in a couple of days.

2 Likes

Yep!

Yes. Will do tonight or tomorrow.

1 Like

Sent via email just now

1 Like

I just discovered that hackchinese is starting with LTL vocab. :+1: :+1: :+1:
so far I saw Beijing Intro and HSK1.
@Hack-Chinese-Daniel : I put the LTL HSK1 (BJ) into my queue. At the moment it is named only HSK1 in my queue, so that is a bit confusing, as it is of course very different to the official HSK1 and New HSK1.

2 Likes

@Sonja-Mandarin-HSK_3 Wow, you’re fast! We just started uploading those yesterday… I thought only @Max knew about it!

Great point about the list name being ambiguous… We just added the school name to the front of these lists in your queue (and dashboard). Thanks for the great suggestion, Sonja! Keep em’ coming! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes really I thought I was the only one who knew… even the LTL team are unaware as the project is only half complete!

Great spot Sonja, more will follow soon.

I ran out of new words, and the “study” button told me I can’t go on. I needed a new list and splashed into the LTL list when I saw it there in the catalog. Of course I had to try it. :sunglasses:
Sorry, to have spoiled the great news. :see_no_evil: :relaxed:

@Hack-Chinese-Daniel, two more things:

• I would love to still see my finished lists somehow on the dashboard or somewhere else. (They disappear in the queue of course.)
  • When I hover over my study sessions it doesn’t show my 20 min duration sessions.

I really enjoy it to work with hackchinese. :+1: :star_struck:

1 Like